changing aperture size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nubius said:
Yay finally something to back up the BS I'm pitchin =P

Like I mentioned - The only game that exceeds the 256 Mb limit is Doom3. =P

Yeah I know I probably read the same article as you, but even so it really only requires a 512mb card when they put it on ULTRA settings

OK kiddies clam down we still need to help this person out so can we stop fighting and give him a solid answer...

*smiles to nubius and agex*

I would do what Nubius/agex said together and change your aperture to 128 not 256 and then if that doesn't work get back to us
Hope that helps later Stotan

sorry i have taken so long to post a reply, i have been real busy in between school and work.

heres some answers to some of the questions i have read so far.

the card is a geforcefx 5500 256mb agp. the crashing and freezing is occuring alot in quake 3 and unreal 2, and rarely in doom3. it started doing this the second i installed the card and the new drivers. the previous card was a 128mb radeon 9200, which worked perfectly. it shouldnt be a display driver issue with the nvidia drivers because ive ran driver cleaner numerous times for both nvidia and ati and installed the latest nvidia drivers and i still get the problem.

btw, im running a sony vaio p4 3ghz with 512 ddr ram.

now about the aperture size. i searched my bios menu high and low and could not find anything about agp or aperture size. i checked everything, and couldnt find nothing. i guess maybe my next option would be to contact american megatrends (manufacturer of my bios) and ask them how i could do this.

sorry i dont have an answer as to whether or not changing the aperture size worked or not. ill try to contact the bios manufacturer and see how i can do this.

OK kiddies clam down we still need to help this person out so can we stop fighting and give him a solid answer...

There was no real point to post that....obviously niether I or nor agex were saying anything to each other at that point..... we've both given him a solid answer.

ANYWAY - if its actually CRASHING and freezing then at that point I doubt its aperture size. Regardless if its set at 64 and I dont know how you didn't find an AGP Aperture size option in your BIOS. What kind of motherboard do you have and what is your BIOS (if you're able to get that info) I don't know of a motherboard that doesn't allow you to set AGP Aperture size but I also haven't gone in through 50 different BIOS's either.....

The only thing I can think of is possibly a format. I know you've cleaned out your drivers hundreds of times etc...etc... but still theres bits of 'junk' in there somewhere thats probably causing you problems especially since you switched from ATI to Nvidia. At this point it sounds like formatting is your best bet. if its crashing and freezing that wouldn't be a aperture size problem. That MIGHT cause it to be a little laggy but not crash entirely. Another thing, make sure your case temps aren't too high. Maybe its too hot, but usually if that were the case you'd start to see little artifacts.

All in all again....I can only suggest format at this point =/ Sorry. Wait and see if someone has some other info for you though and reply back with your motherboard type and BIOS version.

my motherboard imanufacturer is asustek and the model is p4sd-vl, according to cpu-z

my bios is by american megatrends version 1004.

ive already tried a reformat and it didnt help. i dont know why im experienceing this problem when this computer is pretty much brand new. bfg tech told me to get a bios update, but i cant find one for my motherboard.

or maybe i could buy a different video card and hope not to get the same problem...or reinstall the old radeon 9200.

like I said, check event viewer and check the error codes and event id's and post them. also, let us know if its crashing to the desktop or just shut'n down. what ver of DX are you running, do other things like disable sound or change the settings if not possible, update sound card drivers and chipset MBD drivers, also what size PSU? if its shuting down, then go into DM, advanced, startup recovery and remove check from shutdown after system failure to try and get an error. oh, and I'm not taking offense of getting mad ;)

an ASUS board you say? See...people don't believe me but I'm telling you ASUS is going down the sh!t hole. I'm not gonna say this is EXACTLY the problem, but I THINK its your motherboard. I can't find the thread, but I just helped a guy out with a similar problem. He had an ASUS board and everytime he loaded in his geforceFX 5700 or 5200 whatever it was, it would freeze on him and crash. I had the exact same problem. I e-mailed ASUS and their taiwanese technician said and I quote:

"You need new card....some card not work with newer motherboards. Get card refund'

.....yeah needless to say I said a big F YOU to them, bought an MSI and the card ran like a champ.

Gomer...have you tried putting the card in someone elses PC and see if it worked? Are you Running WinXP by chance? If so, I think your ASUS board is the problem, because me, some other guy on here that I just helped out like yesterday, and now you are all having troubles installing a geforceFX card into an ASUS board.

ASUS SUCKS BALLS!! Regardless what everyone else says "ASUS is leading brand in mobos blah blah blah' screw them.

My FX 5700 would work in my friends no name 'AZZA' brand motherboard which was older than my ASUS and it worked fine. If you can try it in another computer that DOESNT have an ASUS board. It seems to me that ASUS and the FX series don't like each other.

EDIT: Heres that thread where the guy had similar problems

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26450

it doesnt crash to desktop. it will either just freeze for 10 seconds or so then return to normal gameplay or the game will freeze and the system will restart. when it boots backup, it says the display driver has failed a drawing operation or something to that extent. then it says that the problem seems to be with the display driver for Geforce Fx 5500.

i was told it could be a PSU problem so i just went out and bought a 350 watt antec and installed it.

ill do what i can with sound card drivers, error codes etc soon, dont think i have time right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom