Why to choose a full tower case over a mid tower one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuxoR

What choice did I have?..
Well I was wondering what the need is to choose a mid tower over a full or vice versa?

I finally have some money and want to invest in a new case but don't know whether to choose an Antec 900 or a 1200...

I know I'll have more room for later and water cooling blah blah but if the price gap is big enough I might not want to invest in it...

I'm lost :/

It's all up to personal preference really.

Myself, I don't like mid towers.

They're small and cramped to work in, and airflow might be a bit more restricted just due to everything being more tightly compressed (although the antec case doesnt have any problems iwht airflow anyway so thats moot)

I use full towers because there's lots more room to get my hands in there and fiddle with things. Not to mention the fact they just look intimidatingly huge.

Watercooling is more viable with full-towers. The antec is a bit cramped if you have any of these new videocards which are all retarded huge.
IMO watercooling your CPU with the aircooling options available these days isn't worth it anymore. It's fun and good for a hobby. I've got a nice water setup in one pc and I get the same temps as I do with this Xigmatek Rifle. You can't get much cooler than ambient room temp unless you're going with phase cooling, or have ducts running from a source of cold air to your pc.
So basically just for looks/fun/to show off.

on the otherhand watercooling your videocards is still a very good option, cause some of these run hot. It would allow for better overclocks. Though if you're going to spend the kind of money needed for a decent watercooling setup, spending a little extra for a full tower wouldn't really be a big deal. Situation depending I suppose.

Oh and I guess mid tower's might be a bit better if you're putting it up on a desk. mines full tower sits on the floor.

But yeah, if you don't mind working in a bit of a cramped space, and don't plan to watercool your videocard(s) any time soon, or at all, then there isn't much wrong with the 900. Everything should fit just fine, it looks good and has good airflow. also isn't toooo too pricey.

It's all up to personal preference really.

Myself, I don't like mid towers.

They're small and cramped to work in, and airflow might be a bit more restricted just due to everything being more tightly compressed (although the antec case doesnt have any problems iwht airflow anyway so thats moot)

I use full towers because there's lots more room to get my hands in there and fiddle with things. Not to mention the fact they just look intimidatingly huge.

Watercooling is more viable with full-towers. IMO watercooling your CPU with the aircooling options isn't worth it anymore. It's good for a hobby. I've got a nice water setup in one pc and I get the same temps as I do with this Xigmatek Rifle. You can't get much cooler than ambient room temp unless you're goign with phase cooling, or have ducts running from a source of cold air to your pc.

on the otherhand watercooling your videocards is still a very good option, if expensive.

Oh and I guess mid tower's might be a bit better if you're putting it up on a desk. mines full tower sits on the floor.

I feel this way too, theres loads of space in my thermaltake full tower case. The only down side is it weights around 38 lbs empty and is very non-lan viable :p Get an aluminum case if weight is an issue for you ( also available by thermaltake, its silver )

oh yeah lol. My watercooled cosmos weighs like 70+ lbs full. it's insane. The case is like 45lbs empty haha.
This haf 938 fulltower is pretty heavy too.

I prefer steel though. It might be heavier, but its CHEAPER!!!!!!! XD aluminum is kindof expensive as far as cases go. I don't really have to worry about weight with it sitting on my floor though.

Steel cases are as sturdy as tanks too lol.

oh yeah lol. My watercooled cosmos weighs like 70+ lbs full. it's insane. The case is like 45lbs empty haha.
This haf 938 fulltower is pretty heavy too.

I prefer steel though. It might be heavier, but its CHEAPER!!!!!!! XD aluminum is kindof expensive as far as cases go. I don't really have to worry about weight with it sitting on my floor though.

Steel cases are as sturdy as tanks too lol.

I also heard aluminum is better when it comes to cooling...dunno why I think i read it somewhere

It's true. Aluminum doesn't hold in heat like steel does.

Good observation, I always forget that.

It's like throwing tin foil in the oven and just grabbing it with your hand after - It's cool to the touch because it doesn't hold heat, unlike steel.... or something like that XD

edit~ oh broke 2000 in this thread XDD!! yay, time to party!

Thanks for the posts

I guess I'll just find the best deal they are about 50 bucks...maybe less apart in price

Should I wait until black friday?

if you can find an all aluminum full tower, go for it. My case is extremely light w/ out hardware installed and if your looking at just the 900 and 1200, the 1200 is alot better w/ wire managment.

micro center had the antec twelve hundred 10 dollars more than the nine hundred, 129.99 after rebates compared to the nine hundred which is 119.99. so for 10 bucks more why not

but with the case being filled its closer to 50lb, i have to hug it to carry it around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom