GTX 260 core 216 worth it to upgrade? 8800 GTX comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are going to wait for a jump like form the 7 series to the 8 series then you will be using that 8800GTX for a long time.

I never said I was waiting for a 7 to 8 series performance jump, but it wouldn't hurt to have one by either side. I'll hold out till August and then see whats up with the GPU market.

August??

Ouch....thats a whole year from now almost.

Er I meant to type June, the 2nd year anniversary date of my purchase ( I bought it late June although didn't end up building my system until August due to numerous RMA issues and waiting to get a hold of a g0 q6600 )

Yeah especially when theres so many good deals out right now.

Newegg has a 4850 for $160 in the latest newsletter.

Newegg.com - ASUS EAH4850 TOP/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

promo code takes it down to $160
EMCBBBECC

that is without a doubt a good deal, but in my particular case I don't think it suits me because:
1. I have a gigabyte P35 DS3R mobo with only 1 PCI-E slot so crossfire wouldn't be an option
2. The 4850 is even closer in performance to a 8800 GTX then a GTX 260 is
3. Even if I was to get a new mobo with a 2nd 4850, I don't think the setup could last me very long

I dont wanna start a debate cause i wanna enjoy the last few days i may have left on american soil but the way i see it dont just look at performance, also look at power usage and how cool the card runs.

Even if its not a huge jump, still youre getting a more modern card. And as newer games come out they take advantage of the higher number of shaders so performance is increased. And no need to xfire with a 4850..and you only game @ 1680x1050, the 4850 doesnt struggle with anything besides crysis at that res which all cards do.

55nm really does make a difference and you will be able to oc very well
and get even more performance out of there. If you keep waiting and waiting youll never get a new card and what you have now will just get slower and slower.

And for $160?? man thats a steal.

the way i see it.. gabb is not looking to do a whole system revamp, i'm pretty sure he wants this to be painless and easy, simple taking out a card, and inserting a card

i say you wait it out for just a little bit longer... because early next year, nvidia may "or may not" have a new line of cards... but at least.. from what i understand (but i don't remember where i read) they will be having some price drops

and on the subject of crysis as an example... i would just like to say the benchmark holds no real bear in the actual game. I've found that i do much enjoy my gtx 260 core 192 more than i did my dual 8800gtx setup... the numbers in sheer real life situations just better with the gtx 260... and with the added vmem you're able to apply more anti-aliasing.

and onto the subject of it being a justified purchase... that is all my preference my friend... how bad do you wanna play alot of the games today???? as far as i could remember my old 8800gtx could play everything but crysis just fine... but now we have crysis warhead, farcry 2, call of duty 5, and fallout 3... these my give that card a hard time.

in my opinion if i was you, i would just wait a bit longer... more options should be laid on the table soon enough... more options at the same... if not better prices

one last thing... it is not hard to make a gtx260 perform as a gtx 280 would... soo... i think with that said you should check out gtx280 results and go back to the comparison board

the way i see it.. gabb is not looking to do a whole system revamp, i'm pretty sure he wants this to be painless and easy, simple taking out a card, and inserting a card

i say you wait it out for just a little bit longer... because early next year, nvidia may "or may not" have a new line of cards... but at least.. from what i understand (but i don't remember where i read) they will be having some price drops

and on the subject of crysis as an example... i would just like to say the benchmark holds no real bear in the actual game. I've found that i do much enjoy my gtx 260 core 192 more than i did my dual 8800gtx setup... the numbers in sheer real life situations just better with the gtx 260... and with the added vmem you're able to apply more anti-aliasing.

and onto the subject of it being a justified purchase... that is all my preference my friend... how bad do you wanna play alot of the games today???? as far as i could remember my old 8800gtx could play everything but crysis just fine... but now we have crysis warhead, farcry 2, call of duty 5, and fallout 3... these my give that card a hard time.

in my opinion if i was you, i would just wait a bit longer... more options should be laid on the table soon enough... more options at the same... if not better prices

one last thing... it is not hard to make a gtx260 perform as a gtx 280 would... soo... i think with that said you should check out gtx280 results and go back to the comparison board

Ah Nos you know me too well :) thanks for the very valuable information, although I didn't know specifically of ATI/Nvidias plans, I generally figured if nothing is required as of now its always worth it to wait because as always waiting will equal savings.

Lastly your pretty much right about everything ( 8800 gtx can't handle any AA in Crysis at all without taking a huge frame dip ) however call of duty 5 and farcry 2 arent really demanding at all, and I can run them at near max settings with 40+ FPS :p their not near as demanding as Crysis, havent tried Fallout 3 yet although I heard AA gives problems for people. Always good to hear from you Nos, your the GPU man.

and another thing... switching to another form of drivers of a video card is a pain... much nicer to stick green and use the same drivers :) no hastle! no deleting driver files and running registry cleaners

and, if nvidia doesnt come out with a new card (god forbid!) and ati does.... well, then nvidia will just have to lower their prices anyway :p

i see another pricewar coming up early on in the year of 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom