Maxtor or Seagate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maxtor's are just rebranded rma'd seagate drives and the ones which don't live upto to seagates quality ttesting but are still usable

No Maxtor hard drives are brand new. They even use the same components on the PCB. Take a look, the chips even say Seagate on them.

They are made in the same factory, they have the same label even. They are just sold under the Maxtor name and have the shorter warranty.

The reason why they are cheaper is because they do only have the 3 year warranty.

I run 2 Maxtor drives in my rig and the drive that seems to be running on it's last leg is a Western Digital.

I agree with aspire.

Heck they even say "7200.11 or 7200.10" on the maxtor sticker.

I am a computer store owner and I have seen Maxtor failures rise sharply since 2004 ish which was when they went downhill then about 2005-6 they were bought by seagate. I am merely repeating what I have heard through industry contacts in the UK I have a maxtor failed drive infront of me now that says seagate on it hence why I said they are rebranded or RMA'd. I use a Maxtor one touch 3 external which has frankly been brilliant no complaints that I can think of it was cheap, large capacity, so far reliable after 3-4 years what more could you want from an external drive....

I have a refurbished Maxtor 80GB (probably pre-Seagate) and a 120GB Maxtor [Seagate built] drive, the 80 is probably 4-5 years old while the 120 is probably 2-3. Both have been running fine since day one. I've never had a Maxtor fail, and I just got a Seagate for my laptop and it is nice. ...I also have a Maxtor 60GB that is like 8-9 years old running great in my server, and even a 2GB Maxtor from 1998 that still works in my ancient Pentium machine.

That said, I'd still get the Seagate, they have a better reputation and I just don't have any experience with them (haven't bought a hard drive in 3 years, except for the laptop HDD I just replaced with a Seagate a month ago).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom