Budget gaming build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druid

Fully Optimized
My friend wants to get a pc for christmas from his parents, but he doesn't think they will spend over $600. That is the budget, $600, monitor and OS included. He has a mouse and keyboard already, but he needs everything else. I'm going to look for some parts for him, but I the only thing I am pretty good with are the gfx cards. I don't really know the proper brands of ram and such. I'll list the main components, tell me if they are a hit or miss. I'm going to need suggestions for the motherboard and stuff like that. I don't know anything about it. Also need to know what is a good monitor.

cpu: Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops $83

gpu: Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N860-TR GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards $85
or this gpu: Newegg.com - HIS Hightech H483FN512P Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards $110
I'll go with whichever is better, probably the radeon, right?

ram: Newegg.com - OCZ SLI-Ready 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory X 2 (Idk how good this ram is, but I found it was listed int he recommend builds topic. Going for 2 since it is so cheap with the rebate.) (2 x $12) $24

hdd: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD322HJ 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives $55
can't afford to do raid sorry

mobo: Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards (just picked one from the recommended builds topic, but it looked like all the ones listed were shaped badly so Idk about this) $90

PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies $78

CPU cooler: Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks $27

Case: Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases $55

fan: Newegg.com - APEVIA CF12SL-UBL 120mm Blue LED Case Fan - Case Fans $7.50 (Does he need this and the cpu cooler fan?)

Thermal paste: Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease $3.80

DVD burner drive: Newegg.com - HP Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM IDE 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners $24 (Is this one any good?)

Ok, if he can afford the extra $25, I'll definitely go for it. going to edit it in place of the 3870.

Also, if he already has say, a reinstallation disk or something for windows xp, will it work on this computer? This will save some funds for the monitor if it works.

Is it one of those recovery cd's from a prebuilt computer? If it is, then it might not work. But if it's a Windows XP cd, it would work as long as you have a valid key code. You should be able to boot from it and reinstall windows.

It probably is, but why would those not work? They have key codes on them and are used for reinstalling the OS when you have to format.

On a second note:

If anyone has a better suggestion for a mobo, please let me know. The reviews for the three listed under the budgest mobos in the recommended builds topic made that board and the others seem like they don't fit well with other parts in the case.

If I stay with that, is the integrated audio on it decent enough?

As far as the case goes, does that one have good airflow?

The dvd burner drive, is that any good?

Does he need a network card?

Does HIS cover overclocking? He probably won't do it, but it would be great if they did.

Given that he already has a mouse and keyboard, we still need to choose a monitor, and the OS issue is still in question, is there anything that I am forgetting that he will need to build a computer completely from scratch?

Also, are all of those parts compatible?

A recovery disk only works with the computer it had been created from. There is a special encryption that will detect the recovery disk that you have created and it can't be used on another computer. Like trying to use a Dell recovery disc on a custom pc, it just won't work.

Isnt it better to go for a 9800 GT for around $100? Although its older then the 4830, doesn't it perform better?

A recovery disk only works with the computer it had been created from. There is a special encryption that will detect the recovery disk that you have created and it can't be used on another computer. Like trying to use a Dell recovery disc on a custom pc, it just won't work.

Is this encryption only in the disc? What if I put a copy of windows on a disc for him? Could he then use the code on his disc to make it work?

Also, those other questions from my last post are still there, they all need to be answered.

Yes, you can put a copy of windows on a disc and you can install from that. The TP43 is a good motherboard that you picked out, the onboard audio will be good and no need for a network card, unless you have a wireless router. And the Antec 300 is a very popular quality case with good airflow.
As for the dvd burner, I wouldn't get a HP burner. I would recommend either Samsung, LG, or Lite-on. All of them are good brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom