Post Code Party

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeroplane22

Baseband Member
So my computer has been refusing to boot from time to time. When it does so, it will beep as follows: * Long * *Short,Short* and no video will appear on monitor.

To alleviate it, I would simply shut the PC off then remove the CMOS battery and replace it and boot up. Now, regardless of what I remove it will not post.

I've tried everything, sound card, RAM, video, HDD and all drives. I've even tried booting without the CMOS battery and get the same result; no post and no video followed by * Long * *Short-Short*.

Various post codes are: 2C, 49, 4E, 7F and several others that pulse on the display too quick to read.

Any suggestions ? Has my CMOS battery port fried or something from too many battery removals?

Very likely a serious problem with your motherboard. According to ABit 2C doesn't even exist as a code for that board. 49 and 4E are both CPU issues and the last one is a startup picture display problem. Are these post codes getting stuck on the display and it stays there until you reboot?

Well it appears to be a video card issue. I tried putting my 9800GT in to see if that would function, and it does.

The issue with the GTX 280 seems to be a power connector issue. The GTX 280 has a 6-Pin and an 8-Pin connector that both need to be hooked up in order to function.... but alas, I do not have an 8-Pin connector, only an adapter that hooks up two 6-Pins that adapts into an 8-Pin. The adapter itself seems to be messed up in the simple reason that 2 of the wires on the connector are being pushed out and not connecting into the male end. It would seem like an easy fix but I can't get the wires connected through the port if my life depended on it.

Also, my motherboard comes with PCI-E 6-Pins that have some sort of 2-Pin attached to it that hangs off the side. I've tried connecting that into the 8-Pin along with the 2-Pin connector so the 6 and 2 are side by side plugged into the 8-Pin port on the video card, but it gets the same post error, which would lead me to believe that the video card might be toast regardless of the connector.

... If that all makes sense....
I'll fiddle with it and see what I can come up with.

Very well could have fried it by using the adapter. Moral of the story: Make sure your PSU can handle you computer.

theres no way a PCP&C 750W cant handle a single gtx 280, though. even if you use adapters. if another card works, its the card though. sometimes they just quit. RMA it.
EVGA will send you another one chop chop like real quick. plus, you have a backup so no big deal. it only takes a couple weeks.
i dont understand what you are talking about on the motherboard that has 2 pins hanging off or whatever it was...are you sure you didnt mean the PSU?
is this your psu?
Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS750QBL 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
that psu has the other 2 pins attached to the pcie plug by the wires, so yes that is what you should be using...that and one of the other pcie 6 pin connectors (i think it has a total of 3...2 x 6 +2 and 1 x plain ol 6 pin).

Yeah I think he's saying for some reason it doesn't come with the 8-Pin only 6-Pin power. I thought that PSU could handle it too.

Indeed I see exactly what you mean. Somehow what I got from his comments was that he was trying to plug another 2 pins from something else in lol. Maybe you got something else from it.

thats what i thought at first, cos he said his "motherboard". but i think he meant PSU.

Aye, I meant the PSU. I had been using the adapter that came with the video card and never bothered using the PSU's funky 6+2 pin, because it seemed kinda odd because I've never seen something like that. Wasn't sure if it was a connector with a special purpose.

The 9800GT runs flawless, and the 280 will simply not run, so I will RMA it. Good thing I went with EVGA.

Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom