Maxtor or Seagate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeckdude

Beta member
Hello all,

I need to buy a backup drive and I would like to buy it today so I can get my files backed up soon. My local Best Buy has two options that look good to me, but I'm not sure which one to pick.

My first option is the Maxtor - 750GB External Hard Drive(Model # STM307504OTA3E1-RK) for $50 off at $120. Here is a link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?...

My second option is the Seagate - FreeAgent Desk 1TB External USB 2.0 Hard Drive(Model # ST310005FDA) for $30 off at $170. Here is a link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?...

Which one would you pick?

If you buy a maxtor drive, i'll personally punch you in the face through the internet. Maxtor is by far the worst hard drive on the market that you can possibly buy.

Also, welcome to the Tech forums :)

And if you were wondering, maxtor is owned by seagate, and is basically their bottom of the line, cheapest pieces of junk.
In my 3.5 years at my last job, maxtor drives had roughly a 75% failure rate.

Maxtor quality has improved since Seagate bought it, but it is still the worst choice. Seagate drives normally have a five year warranty, which is the best out there.

Thank you for all the great comments! I just bought the Seagate 1TB Hard-Drive and am on my way to the store to pick it up now! :)

Maxtor is owned by Seagate like said before. My 160GB Maxtor HDD (5 years old) is still working but I would go with Seagate.

yes, there are rare occasions that maxtors last. My bros' external maxtor has lasted about 5 years. I for one will not take those chances. I want some seagate 320gb 7200.11 in raid0. Yummers

I have never had a problem with a Maxtor...or a seagate.

A lot of the maxtor's out there are rebadged 7200.10 or 7200.11 seagate drives - but interestingly they only have a 3 year warranty.

If all things were equal I would go with the Seagate - better warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom