Unexplainable pc issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing that will cause unexpected restarts and problems starting believe or not is the battery on the board itself until one day nothing will run not even fans. On one old build I kept seeing the system restart right in the middle of a game or program thinking the cpu was hot! The board simply chewed the battery used to maintain time, date, and any setting changes in the bios setup other then factory defaults.

The next build simply saw nothing one day figuring the supply might have quit. Something told me to go for a new battery and what do you know all works fine since having passed that 939 build onto a family member. A simple $2-$3 item in a retail store. The original came with the board and was a year old then.

The last item however could involve hardware like the board or cpu itself. A bad cap on the board or cpu on the way out more likely the board or need to update the bios are a few other things to consider. When you see fans spins and lights blink for a few seconds only that usually points to a board problem of some type.

If it's the CMOS battery, I am going to lol.

Worth a try, though... it should be new though given the board is new.

That will get you every time. I keep a few extras on hand here just in case. But another thing besides board and cpu that can also cause problems is simply the lack of good regulation seen with the power supply itself.

If a supply is on the way out sometimes you are getting a warning when things act up while in Windows or simply at startup when the demand for power is the largest. Then one day you simply won't see anything.

Weak batteries however are more common since you see that with any typical flashlight battery as well as the Lithium calculator/watch type used on boards. They are all mass produced and see some go faster then others regardless of brand.

Yeah, no warning related to PS have occurred. I've only had the thing for a few months, and its only gotten limited use from last two mobos... ten boots maybe...

I changed the CMOS battery though, and that didn't work... so I guess I don't get to lol...

I REALLY thing this is CPU related though... since the restarts(before it got to this point of course) happened during times when the cpu was being strained; video streams and certain games...

What happened with the two previous boards? That may be a good clue there as to a need for a new supply or the cpu is weak or running too warm.

Something strange happened the other day... I got a bit of life out of the board. It didn't POST, but the power light in the front was green and steady without anything connected. Then I tried plugging in the cd drive and the light was yellow and flashing, so I disconnected it and tried it again with the hdd. Same thing. So I pulled everything off and tried to start it and now the light isn't coming on at all....

So that got me thinking that it may be a voltage issue; I need more maybe? I can't imagine that 330w isn't enough, but I guess the PSU could be bad despite its new-ish.

So CPU or PS... that is the question....

I RMA'd them again.... so maybe that'll tell me something... they said they'll replace them.

Since I'm getting two boards, I'll be able to figure which one is the issue.

eyeCpc said:
What happened with the two previous boards? That may be a good clue there as to a need for a new supply or the cpu is weak or running too warm.

See OP.

Do you have a picture of the fully wired system? Also, what means of cooling do you have for the processor?

What I meant earlier was on MSI's findings for the first two once they reported not finding any problem with either. Vendors on the other hand will state that once in awhile they will get in a bad batch of boards where you may have to go with another model or make and model in order to get things going there.

A year ago a friend complained about two boards in a row not even posting and had me look over everything and made the suggestion. The third board however went in and worked right off when they sent that out before the first two were shipped back to see if it would. That one is still going strong from what I hear!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom