upgrading to 8gb ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

encity5

Baseband Member
Hey, i recently built a new pc (about a month ago) with vista 64 bit, i currently have 4gb of ram installed (ddr800) i wanted to look into a fairly cheap upgrade to get some better performance overall with my comp, so i was thinking about buying another 4gb kit for 8gb ram. I searched the forums and google, but got mixed results on how beneficial this is, and even has caused some people problems. I just dont want to upgrade and end up running into any issues if i dont have to
Alot of the work i do on the PC revolves around editing/3d work. I work with Avid/adobe cs3/ and Maya. So if i can, i believe the extra 4gb would be beneficial, but also i usually have a lot of apps running as well as games at the same time and im hoping this would be benefit as well. (i already get good gaming performance, but want some quicker background processes while i game)
Any suggestions? or maybe a better possible upgrade i can do to my computer to help improve OVERALL performance? (I am buying extra harddrives, later on)
This is the memory i currently i have and plan to buy: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
50 bucks, a lot more affordable now.

my comp
q6600 (stock cooler)
4gb gskill
8800gt
gigabyte EP35-DSL
raidmax 630 PSU
Antec 300
Lite-on dvd burner
WD500 HD

one thing I can suggest is try to match the same ram kit you have installed right now
other than that, you should be fine

you wont see any performance gain because the ram u wont be using all the 4gb imo, id say get a new cpu cooler and overclock ur cpu, ull see alot more performance increase by overclocking ur cpu then getting another 4gb

I run 8gb of memory and its pretty nice to have. Especially with vista/windows 7.

Virtual Machines, solidworks etc eat up quite a bit of memory. If you're not running out of memory then it might not be beneficial.

Right now your using a graphics card, the 8800GT, if you wanted down the line you could try installing a workstation graphics card, but those are pretty expensive. how is avid and maya? I've heard of it for video editing, not to mention final cut pro.

Also, 8GB of ram doesn't mean higher performance, just more space for your programs to place files and get in line from your processor. so, keep that in mind that more ram doesn't mean speed, that'd be your processors ability to take and calculate information.

Right now your using a graphics card, the 8800GT, if you wanted down the line you could try installing a workstation graphics card, but those are pretty expensive. how is avid and maya? I've heard of it for video editing, not to mention final cut pro.

Also, 8GB of ram doesn't mean higher performance, just more space for your programs to place files and get in line from your processor. so, keep that in mind that more ram doesn't mean speed, that'd be your processors ability to take and calculate information.

Correct..

If you are addicted to VMWare then a 8gb DDR2 kit could be useful

Yeah, liking the idea of a workstation card.

Look to spend at least 500 bucks for a good OpenGL optimized card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom