new hard drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think VelociRaptor 300GB are overpriced and I would go with a VelociRaptor over a SSD. It is faster than most of the SSD.

Depends what your talking about in there raw state ssds are faster then any raptors;
If you partition a raptor or velcoiraptor down to 32gb you gain a 35-40% performance increase in random reads and 20-30% in random writes, but still in random read performance SSDs are 27 times faster then a velociraptor. A SSD is 11% faster then a standard raptor drive (partitioned) but 6% slower then a partitioned velociraptor.

zb_random.png

qb_sr.png

qb_sw.png

qb_rr.png

This is the bench that most relates to real world performance
duplication.png

Awesome charts. Does partitioning a regular raptor to 32gb have the same effect on the performance increase?

Depends what your talking about in there raw state ssds are faster then any raptors;
If you partition a raptor or velcoiraptor down to 32gb you gain a 35-40% performance increase in random reads and 20-30% in random writes, but still in random read performance SSDs are 27 times faster then a velociraptor. A SSD is 11% faster then a standard raptor drive (partitioned) but 6% slower then a partitioned velociraptor.

zb_random.png

qb_sr.png

qb_sw.png

qb_rr.png

This is the bench that most relates to real world performance
duplication.png

Would you buy a $240 VelociRaptor or $300 SSD 128GB?
The Memoright GT SSD 128GB are at $2,500 & the Intel 80GB are at $630.

Would you buy a $240 VelociRaptor or $300 SSD 128GB?
The Memoright GT SSD 128GB are at $2,500 & the Intel 80GB are at $630.

If speed was my main concern I would get 2x8gb or 16gb ssd drives and Raid0 or 15k scsi drives. Also get 6gb of RAM and not have a paging file overclock an extreme C2D with liquid nitrogen to get some 6ghz dual core goodness. Some people prefer loads of storage space some people prefer having the fastest possible. I am a storage space nut hence why I use to have 5.5tb media server I have now cut back to just 1.5tb.

Two of these in raid0 would make everything instant
MTRON | Home
infact you would probably think the load time for your monitor to switch on to be agony lol

wat do u even need the extra transfer rate for? maybe if you are a video editor and require transfer of huge raw videos across into programs or whatnot. its just not worth the cash.

OK new question,

how about RAID 0 two raptors 8mb cache with a 32gb partition. Would that see increases both in the performance like above and even moreso because of the RAID 0?

OK new question,

how about RAID 0 two raptors 8mb cache with a 32gb partition. Would that see increases both in the performance like above and even moreso because of the RAID 0?

yes you would see about 60% increase in performance over a standard raptor but as previously said its much more economical to go with 7200rpm drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom