Finally bought my new board Gigabyte EP45T Extreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
should cut the TDP down to about a third of spec at stock (so around 43W... SWEET!!!)... might be able to reach 5GHz on air or water... cant imagine what you could achieve like that with the EE on ln2 or cascade... would be insane

the nehalem is a true quad right? like all 4 cores are on one die. i remember heering something about it but i would have thought intel would have been more like in your face amd then they are.

In all fairness whether its a "true" quad or not doesn't make that big of a performance difference. That is probably why Intel doesn't talk about it much. AMD sorta shot themselves in the foot by hyping Phenom like that and it ultimately didn't deliver.

hmm. I think I might order off ebay and use cash back. Asus P6T Deluxe 299 w/ 25% cashback is tempting right now but I really want gigabyte

In all fairness whether its a "true" quad or not doesn't make that big of a performance difference. That is probably why Intel doesn't talk about it much. AMD sorta shot themselves in the foot by hyping Phenom like that and it ultimately didn't deliver.

being monolithic, the Nehalems will have a distinct advantage over MCMs (ie Core 2s)... you see, because Core 2s are 2 distinct dies in a single module, the bandwidth between the cores on one die is huge and the latency is tiny, but between the separate dies, the bandwidth is limited because they must communicate through the FSB... because Nehalems are built on a single die, each core can communicate with the others directly, decreasing the overhead at load.

The cache can be accessed by every core on a Nehalem processor as well, instead of the older core 2 architecture, in which the cores could only access the cache associated with their die. this increase in cache bandwidth and reducing in intercore latency allows nehalem to excel in complex calculations and high end benchmarks (eg SuperPi)

I understand that. My point is. Being monolithic just on its own doesn't mean much at this point. If it did then Phenom would have been a lot faster. Sure its a great thing to have, but it was over hyped as a feature.

crap I'm starting to second guess this decision. I feel like grabbing either a quad or E8600 again and calling it a day. I think I might just do that.

i don't see much a reason to hop on i7 yet.. think about it.. in 3 months or so.. all the prices are gonna go down... and maybe both of us should wait for revisions.. or later steppings

and in the long run... not even long, morely short... mobo revisions, cheaper ram, cheaper everything will be out after christmas.. where we may or may not have more money!!! i know i'll have more money! lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom