changing aperture size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nubius said:
I've experienced the same thing myself so NO its not incorrect. Perhaps if he's got a 64mb card which he didn't even specify and regardless of that he has 512mb of ram.

http://www.ocfaq.com/article.php/overclocking/vidcard/43

thats a year old article but it still points out the same fact. If he's using a 256mb card he should be using 128-256 in the aperture size not 64 so YES it will smooth out the lag he's experiencing. 64 is definitely too low for an Fx5500

Yes, if your videocard has 64 Mb of VRAM, then increasing the AGP Aperture Size will be at your benefit. But considering he has 256 Mb of VRAM, increasing it will have no effect once so ever.

Plus, the only game on the market that exceeds the 256 Mb limit is Doom3.

it only exceeds the 256 limit if he has it on ULTRA SETTINGS. On most of the bench marking articles they don't even take it up that high based on the fact they needed a 512mb card. Gomer, do a couple things, atleast TRY raising the aperture size to 128 and see what happens. Beyond that make sure your case temps are good and cool. Beyond THAT, download the coolbits registry editor and possibly clock down your card a little and that'll help to get rid of artifacts.

Id have to agree with agex000, ap size shouldn't make much difference here with 256 vid card, unless using doom3 or pro grphic editing. if it DOES work, then it looks like its more of an underlying problem that needs to be addressed, as in WHY is your vid card using all 256 VRAM. something is else is wrong.

Don't know, the only reason I suggested it to him is cause I have had the same thing happen to me before. Just like in sof2 in the connection settings I'd forget to put it up at cable instead of 33k and it'd lag me out. Same thing happened to me there, I upped the graphics aperture size and it smoothed my card out.

well, couldn't hurt to try. however, with a 256 VRAM card, he shouldn't have to do this. if he does while running a game like say, unreal (any except the VERY newest game) then there is something wrong. maybe faulty VRAM or driver issue, or maybe need to reflash. never know, but no... that amount of memory should be sufficient. guess it would help if he told us what games are causing this, when it started, how long and has it always done this, last thing installed, etc... kind of hard trouble shooting something without more details. a listing of what was in event manager at the time would help, and if crashing, is it shuting down or what. if so set it so windows doesn't restart on system failure so we can get a bsod and hopefully elicit some kind of error to work with.

yeah thats true.....cause yeah I realize the aperture is just how much the ram will basically assist in the vram in times of need, but with the experience I had, setting it too low at like 64 while I had a 256mb card, my system didn't like that =/. Im not out to start arguements cause I'll be the first to tell you I don't know everything, but it was the first suggestion that could come to mind...and the person who posted right after me was gonna suggest the same thing =).......btw I havent seen the guy reply to his own thread on wether or not it got smoothed out so possibly my suggestion worked ;)

Nubius said:
yeah thats true.....cause yeah I realize the aperture is just how much the ram will basically assist in the vram in times of need, but with the experience I had, setting it too low at like 64 while I had a 256mb card, my system didn't like that =/. Im not out to start arguements cause I'll be the first to tell you I don't know everything, but it was the first suggestion that could come to mind...and the person who posted right after me was gonna suggest the same thing =).......btw I havent seen the guy reply to his own thread on wether or not it got smoothed out so possibly my suggestion worked ;)

:)

agex000 said:
Plus, the only game on the market that exceeds the 256 Mb limit is Doom3.

I noticed quite a bit of Doom 3 performance increase after increasing the aperture. I get the best results when setting my aperture to 128MB, which is half of my 256MB total.

I noticed quite a bit of Doom 3 performance increase after increasing the aperture. I get the best results when setting my aperture to 128MB, which is half of my 256MB total.

Yay finally something to back up the BS I'm pitchin =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom