CPU Lapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Merlin

Daemon Poster
I have read alot about it and completely understand to do, and don't plan on doing it.

But I was wondering how many of you actually do this to your CPU's to drop the temp the odd few degrees?:confused:

Never done it, but i plan on it for my next build. I've heard good things, and read a lapping guide in the new CPU something or other mag that i swiped. THe dude said he didnt see much of a difference but 2 or 3 degrees might come in handy in some situations.

yeah I just ordered an envelope of 600-800-1000-1200-1500-2000 grit sandpaper with instructions on how to properly do it although I've read tons of other places that tell how to do it too. It definitely can't hurt...well it can if you scratch it bad or something =P but yeah I've heard of people getting a couple degrees cooler....plus the mirror...finish.........can't.......stop.....staring.....::drool::

I did it on my 2.8HT and dropped like 10 degrees, well I lapped it and applied some good silver thermal paste. Just a few degrees sometimes can make a big difference.

I'm being sent some goodies from http://www.easypckits.com/ to be used for a review... We'll see what happens, but all the other reviews about their kits showed 3-4 temp drop on air cooling and 1 degree drop on water cooling.. So we'll see what happens, I'll post up a link to my review when it's completed if anyone wants to check it out

i did it wit my celeron and it worked pretty good, bout 6 degree drop, im happy cuz it cost me nutin since we already have sandpaper.

damn I got the lapping kit with no glass, I shoulda gotten the 'SUPER SHARP HONING KIT!' cause it comes with 600 up to 2500 grit sandpaper, (lapping kit on there only goes up to 2000) plus it comes with glass, PLUS it comes with 2 bags of the 10,000 grit polish. Why the F|_|CK does that guy have a kit with and without glass, then makes it seem like theres a 'special kit' for doing something else that just features a better grit sandpaper and the 10,000 polish you need. I was gonna get that polish cause its .25 but I don't want to pay $4 just for the shipping and 'handling' of a tiny ass little bag. Plus I doubt it'll make THAT much difference. 2000 grit lapping should be good enough

lol i think that one is for wood or something.. maybe send them an email and see what happens

You can use any glass. I used my sliding glass door, and a few drops of honing oil. Worked like a charm. Of course the wife wasn't too pleased lol. I only went as high as 1500 grit on the sand paper and finished the polishing with Never Dull http://www.dlawlesshardware.com/m10-never-dull.html
It can be messy but it really gives you that mirror shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom