trying to upgrade old system

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeldaboy101

Solid State Member
I've got a system that's about 3-4 years old now and while I want to upgrade the entire thing, that won't happen until the spring when I have the money available.

In the mean time, I could afford a partial upgrade, but don't see the point to upgrade a part and replace it in a few months, so i'm trying to see if I can upgrade just the video card in my system to something that'd be fairly good in a medium end gaming computer.

I'd like to upgrade my video card to a really nice one, but don't know if my PSU can support a new one.

Currently:
3.0ghz single core intel
asus P5GD1-VM mobo
1.5gb ram (probably just ddr can't remember)
geforce 6600GT
1 hd
2 dvd burners
431w enermax psu

I've got a pci-e slot and saw that pci-e 2.0 is backwards compatible, so I guess the video card would just run a little slower on my old board until I upgrade it in the future? I could live with that, just need to know how good of a card 431w could support. I'd like to get an 8800gt at least, preferably a 9800gt as they're not that expensive. So can 431w run the 8800 or 9800? Assuming they fit in my case, the ram gets awful close to where the card would stick out...

IF I have to upgrade my psu then lets say the future setup will be:
probably quad core (I do a lot of photoshop stuff)
4gb ram or more
1-2 hd
2 burners
9800gt

So how many watts would I need to be safe with something like that?

thanks,
Jeremy

I guess i'm kind of confused, are you going to have a total of 4HDD and 4 burners? The ram and graphics card won't put a few more watts to your system but if you would, a 500w might solve the problem.

but, from what i see this won't stress your psu much.

No, if I upgrade the video card now i'll still have 1hd and 2 burners. If I upgrade just about everything i'll keep the same hd, maybe add 1, and keep the same 2 burners.

So for my current system a new video card won't push the psu too much more? Now I gotta see if the ram gets in the way of a longer card.

Yeah, for the amount of things your putting in, it's not stressing it at all, I wouldn't SLi, but, to keep things I guess, 'fair' or in your best interest i'd upgrade that psu soon.

um it really depends on the amps of the 12v rail on your psu. there could be a psu that has 1000w but only outputs 5A on the 12v rail. as far as your new system goes a corsair 650w would have no problem powering it all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom