Looking to upgrade CPU, need advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Phenoms come in X3 tri-core and X4 quad core models only. There are no X2 Phenoms. AMD Processors for Desktops: AMD Phenom?, AMD Athlon? FX, AMD Athlon? X2 Dual-Core, AMD Athlon?, and AMD Sempron? Processor

The 6400+ X2 is the fastest AM2 model(940 platform) while the Phenoms are AM2+.

I know that..

Didn't you hear about the Athlon 6500 Black Edition (some places call it the Phenom 6500.. thats what I meant by the slash)

Phenom-6500-BE.png

Whats the code name for them again, Kuma? Puma or something but I remember there are Phenom X2's around. Last I heard though is that it was only available in certain parts of Europe.

Its supposed to be able to outperform the X2 6000+ and 6400+ from what I heard.

That's simply the AM2+ version of a dual core Atholon there in the Kuma series being a 2.3ghz model there.

Whats the code name for them again, Kuma? Puma or something but I remember there are Phenom X2's around. Last I heard though is that it was only available in certain parts of Europe.

Its supposed to be able to outperform the X2 6000+ and 6400+ from what I heard.

Ya.. It was Puma... Apok mentioned it a while back...

If you over clock then yes, the E5200 and the E2*** series are a better bang for your buck. But if you did NOT over clock (like 90% of computer users) would you go with the 2.0ghz (Intel E2180) Dual Core or the 2.7ghz (AMD X2 5200+) Dual Core instead?

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Brisbane 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

AMD does have price/performance when it comes to ever day average computer users who do NOT over clock.

I will agree though, Intel is in the lead price/performance when it comes to overclocking which pretty much everyone on this forum does.

Oh and yeah I am getting ready for Deneb :D

Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

The 5200+ may be a better deal than the e2180, but the e5200 is an even better deal. It will give you e7200 performance in everything but in cache intensive apps, and AMD doesn't have an advantage there either.

And don't waste your time with Deneb. They have already broken some of the promises about it and Core i7 is turning out to be just as large a leap in performance as it was from Cedar Mill to Conroe. The newest benchmarks show them getting double the performance in some cases as the best Phenom X4.

I'll probably upgrade to Deneb anyways.. I can't afford to buy a whole new board anyways... unless this one craps

And you think Deneb will be cheap? You could sell that system and use the money to cover part fo the cost for a Yorkfield rig. I guarantee you it is far superior.

If you over clock then yes, the E5200 and the E2*** series are a better bang for your buck. But if you did NOT over clock (like 90% of computer users) would you go with the 2.0ghz (Intel E2180) Dual Core or the 2.7ghz (AMD X2 5200+) Dual Core instead?

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Brisbane 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

AMD does have price/performance when it comes to ever day average computer users who do NOT over clock.

I will agree though, Intel is in the lead price/performance when it comes to overclocking which pretty much everyone on this forum does.

Oh and yeah I am getting ready for Deneb :D

If i didn't overclock I might go with the 5200+ but that's irrelevant because I do overclock and it's pretty obvious which one I would choose since I own a e2180. This cpu is so easy to overclock there is absolutely no excuse not to. All you have to do is go into bios, set the fsb to 280mhz, adjust the ram divider, save and exit and your at 2.8ghz.

And you think Deneb will be cheap? You could sell that system and use the money to cover part fo the cost for a Yorkfield rig. I guarantee you it is far superior.

Well like I said, only time will tell, whichever is better in terms of bang for the buck....

If I do sell the rig (not likely though..) I'll probably get a Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom