Trouble with graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

wongb18c

In Runtime
Due to a set of recent unfortunate events I had to re-install windows as a last resort. I'm using win XP pro. After re-installation windows will not recognize my videocard. I had to stick my old videocard in because I wasn't even getting a picture on the screen with my Nvidia. It doesn't show up on device manager nor does search for new hardware work.

The graphics card is a 256 Nvidia GeForce 5200 something... to that extent. It was working just fine prior to the re-installation. However... I did convert from win2k pro to win XP pro.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? Any help at all is appreciated... I been spending the last 3 days with minimum sleep trying to fix my gd comp.. and it's just one problem after the other.

Why am I having so much problems? [I've posted them on this section of the forum through out yesterday and today]
Could this be due to the fact that I bought a cheap motherboard? [Asus A7V8X-X]. My old motherboard is broken and I didn't want to spend a lot of money so I got this one for 70 bucks at some comp store. I never had so much problems putting a comp together.

Try pressing f8 and then putting it into VGA mode. When you restart if its still the same and have the same problem, go on to the windows update and look for things like VGA drivers. It will quite often find new drivers and install them for you!!

Im on a roll. I should really think before posting, and put it all in one post.....

If its a PCI Card move it from one PCI slot into another. If its an AGP slot check your BIOS setts, and make sure that things look ok...

Hmmm Oddly enough my GeForceFX 5700 card wouldn't work with my ASUS board either and I had winXP installed too.....I went from an ASUS board with a working geforce2 Ti 64mb with winXP installed to an ASUS board, still with winXP installed to a geforcefx5700 BUT everytime the computer started up, it would freeze, sometimes it'd get into windows before it'd freeze, sometimes it get RIGHT to the login. I had an ASUS A7N266-VM board with nForce chipset and I guess it just had a hardware conflict. I bought an MSI KT6V motherboard and my 5700 card worked fine. From looking up your board it said it uses the KT400 chipset. I don't know, if you possibly can try your card in a friends computer that DOESNT have an ASUS board. Cause basically the same thing happened to me man. ASUS board + winXP + GeforceFX 5700 = no go, MSI Board + winXP + 5700 = smooth sailing! worse comes to worse the board I got is only $50-60 bucks. That would be my first guess. I spent a week of non-stop troubleshooting, forum surfing , switching power supplies, computers, everything. Card would work in an older brand 'AZZA' motherboard, never even heard of them, but wouldn't work in my newer ASUS board. Thats why I vow to never buy ASUS again. Anyway thats just my opinion on whats happening.

BTW if you can, return that motherboard, you paid too much for a motherboard with little options. look online, www.zipzoomfly.com , www.newegg.com , www.svc.com all good places to get stuff. I suggest MSI but I'm kind of biased towards them now but its worked great and all my friends except the 'azza' board dude have MSI. Go online and get a better board for $50.....reading you're only supporting the KT400 chipset, my board is $50 online with the KT600 VIA chipset. Good luck to you and if you need anymore info feel free to PM me cause I think I've had similar problems

I usually do shop for comp parts online.. but I was desperate to get my comp back up again... so I just ran into the store and picked up one.

So basically you suggest getting a MSI board and the videocard and xp should run fine. It's either that or trying to re-install win2k pro and see if that will work. I figured I upgrade windows but it only gave me more problems. The only problem now is that I'm not sure if I can return it... but I'm def going to try.

Are MSI's considered reliable? Also which one should I get? my budget is around $75.

I spent a week of non-stop troubleshooting, forum surfing , switching power supplies, computers, everything. Card would work in an older brand 'AZZA' motherboard, never even heard of them, but wouldn't work in my newer ASUS board.

I agree totally!
I spend 3 days of non-stop troubleshooting and hardwork also.. so I relate 100%

yeah man, I was about ready to kill someone over that. I don't get money handed to me, I get like $300 a month and then I spend it on PC parts so it was devestating to have a nice new 5700 card arrive and not work =/.....I don't want to GAURAUNTEE it'll work because if you wind up buying it and it doesn't you'll hate me for life =). IF theres someway you could just return the board and just act stupid like you didn't know wtf you were doing and maybe they'll let you return it. And yeah I suggest getting an MSI board and if you're budget is $75 heres a link to a couple good boards.

At the very least: $54
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=241120

but with a budget of $75 I'd say this its $69.99
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=241149

Plus both of those have the same chipset (just more up-to-date0 as that ASUS you had, sportin a VIA chipset, thats what I got. nForce is a good chipset, but thats what my last ASUS board had so once again I lean towards VIA now. Thats about all I can suggest. Once again I can't 100% gaurauntee you that is your problem because I don't want you to buy something then regret it ya know? But your situation sounds EXTREMELY similar to mine and its odd that we both had asus boards and trying to put an nvidia FX card in it. I personally have that first board I linked you for $54....unfortunately I got it from a Computer Store so I paid like $90 =( but that was also like 4 months ago....anywho....I hope this helps and goodluck flows your way =)

BTW, that board you had I believe only supported CPUs up to 333FSB. With the boards I suggested you can get a 400FSB CPU, but I'd suggest just getting a 35w 2400+ XP-M (the M stands for mobile incase you already didn't know) so look through the AMD Athlon XP-M series to find that one and overclock that badboy and you can get the equivelant of a 3200+ processor plus it'll match any pc3200 ram you might have

Thanks... our problems do sound extremely similar and I think you got the problem on the dot... because I just tried my stupid card on another comp and it works fine. Exact same setup and it works on the other board [I don't even know what board it is... some stock one that came with my mom's pc].

I think I'll go ahead and return that pos Asus board tomorrow and buy the MSI one online [$69.99 isn't bad].... again thx for help. And thank god for these forums.... otherwise I would of never known what the problem was.

I can pay less for a better board.... sigh... what the hell was I thinking?

My set-up

AMD 2400
Nvidia 5700 256
WD 80 Gb
Maxtor 80 Gb
512 stick
some floppy
pos hitachi CD rom drive

Only thing left - a decent freakin mb that will last!!!! Is that too much to ask?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom