Worklog: Spidey Senses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent project Josh! I esp like the web window design. I also can't believe you scored that Inwin Q500 for so cheap, I'm jealous dude!!

Thanks....we'll see how it turns out, many of the mods to this case are straight out of the book of mnpctech.

Unfortunately the project is on hold right now...too many orders paying real money for me to get back to this one at the moment. The biggest bummer is temp drops. It's been below freezing here the past few days so It's extremely unlikely it'll get painted before next spring.

Thanks....we'll see how it turns out, many of the mods to this case are straight out of the book of mnpctech.

Unfortunately the project is on hold right now...too many orders paying real money for me to get back to this one at the moment. The biggest bummer is temp drops. It's been below freezing here the past few days so It's extremely unlikely it'll get painted before next spring.

garage insulated? Do you have a heater? You could make a temporary paint booth in the corner of the garage with plastic curtain, wear a filtered respirator! :)

holy crap its like 95*F here in texas where i live.

holy crap its like 95*F here in texas where i live.

It's actually a little warmer than usual for this time of year.....when I was a kid I used to trick or treating at Halloween on my snowbmobile :p But I lived further north then.

This is what I look like most of my modding days, hat and winter jacket are necessities and only let me get in 30 minutes bursts between re-heatings.:

Picture036.jpg

Couldn't convince the wife for a heated garage. This was last march, you can see the snow on the roofs has already significantly melted. The banks were actually another 3 feet higher than you see in the photo.

Picture042-1.jpg

garage insulated? Do you have a heater? You could make a temporary paint booth in the corner of the garage with plastic curtain, wear a filtered respirator! :)

Yeah, have been toying with the idea of building a booth straight into the wall for the garage, I picked up an old 14" 3000CFM exhaust explosion proof fan that I could install in the wall and build some walls around it. Heated for winter use of course....if just my garage was bigger.

***disclaimer: do not build your own booth at home! buy a pre-build booth that meets your personal spraying needs unless you really know what you are doing. Many paints are flammable and toxic and need appropriate ventilation.

Lol, as for respirator...I'm a modder by night but by day I make my $$$ as safety consultant. I train clients on proper respirator selection, use, maintenance as well as fit testing :p

Anyways, quick update...progress is slow due to temperatures, it's been snowing on and off the last couple of days....today was the first day it stayed on the ground. Updates are going to get pretty infrequent until temps warm up again.

Anyways, 3 coats of fiberglass and one coat of spot bondo gives this:

Picture211-1.jpg

I've started on the top panel, cutout for a 120mm exhaust and i didn't like the vent gaps on the side so I'm filling them in as well.

top-1.jpg

The top panel obviously needs another couple of coats, the front panel will hopefully only need one more fine coat, hard to tell in the photo but the blending of the intakes to the case face isn't as perfect as I'd like it to be.

Ok, update....wife and kidos were gone for the day so got some work done on the comp.

The front intakes are pretty much done, just need a primer and paint coat, that will have to wait till next spring.

intakes.jpg

It's time to start the spider cutout. I printed out an 11" by 13" spider printout on 8" by 11" clear labels from avery:

Addressing Labels Avery Clear Full-Sheet Labels for Inkjet Printers 18665, 8-1/2" x 11", Pack of 10 18665 | Avery

spider1.jpg

It took 3 sheets but is easier than free handing it or trying to trace it. The clear sheeting also functions to cool the cut so that the acrylic doesn't melt.

Took a while but here is the final cutout.

spider2.jpg

Now the long process of sanding down the spider, this is going to take a while, a lot of small nooks and crannies.

Thanks....was my first time with acrylic on the scroll saw. Came out ok, more sanding left than I wanted, you can't really see that in the photo.

Can you see my screw up? Hint...it's part of the cutout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom