e8400 @ 5.0ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.
you can definitely go further on that chip... just pump a bit more voltage (core and NB) in there and up the FSB... but keep your temps in check of course... use core temp to monitor, because the BIOS monitors it off a thermistor just below the socket, which generally reads about 5-10C below the actual CPU temp

get coretemp 0.99.3 here -> Core Temp

I discovered something called a 'vdroop' (im still new at oc.) Well when I set my volts to 1.38 for instance, when I restart and go back into bios in 'Hardware monitoring' It's idling at a 1.31 volts. My motherboard is a p5e with the 602 bios update.

I really want to go further than 3.8 safely, does anyone know a way I can do that? Temperature for sure is NOT holding me back, (unless bios is wrong, can anyone recommend a program? Everest isn't showing it.) the only thing I believe is holding me back is my CPU volts.
vdroop gets very annoying, make sure EIST and/or c1e, this could be altering your voltage at idle since ur not under load. hopefully thats wats casuing ur vdroop, otherwise thats pretty bad. .07v difference isnt very good.

p45s tend to be pretty bad for droop... i've seen people with as much as .11V off their BIOS setting (mind you that was with an older dual core at just about its maximum potential... but still, pretty bad)... eVGA (and possibly others eventually) will be introducing a custom droop control on their X58 boards to minimise vdroop without the need for modding... should be a nice feature for OCers

yah I was reading up on the bios flash to the rampage formula. I can just download the latest bios file from the ASUS support website right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom