Amd64

Status
Not open for further replies.

HellRaiser

Solid State Member
I'm trying to buy a amd64 processor, socket 754, but i cannot find any. Does anyone here know of a good site that sells socket 754 processors. I know there old and crap etc but I am not looking for anything great I just want a small upgrade, my sempron 3000+ or w/e it is, is crap.

Also i saw a processor, a mobile 4000+ socket 754, could anyone explain to me about that and would it work on my pc(the mobile part leaves me uneasy).

the mobile socket 754 may or may not work in your board,

but unfortunately your skt 754 is in the same position as skt 939,

its just to old, and people charge an arm and a leg for the processors because they are rare now.

I recommend upgrading to a cheap sktAM2 solution

for 100$ on newegg, you should be able to get a dual core athlon x2 3800+, and a DECENT motherboard and ram (i know you can get the processor for 30~, the motherboard for 35~, and the ram for 34~)

then your just left with a video card to upgrade, and you can always get an onboard video solution to get you by untill you have the cash to get a better one.

DONT upgrade to a skt 939, its waste of money.

and the Biostar K8m800 is a SKT AM2 motherboard WITH AGP,

but once again its a big waste of cash, because AGP is dead. just like 754 and 939 mobos

you could upgrade to this 3300 which improves the clock speed to 2.00ghz and leave it at that and a combination of more ram(could you give detailed specs please?). Here is the sempron i found:AMD Sempron 3300+ 2Ghz Socket 754 CPU SDA3300BOBOX at TigerDirect.com

mobile cpu's consume less power through a few different technology's. One I read about is speedstep, this means the processor detects whether or not the power consumption coming in is either AC or Battery. When it detects the later, it will run lower clock speeds and use less energy, when running on AC it runs at full speed.

i have an athlon 64 3200+ sitting here, but its needed in a file server for a friend, i'll talk to him and see if he'll settle for a 3000+ sempron if u want to swap it out

but you REALLY need to upgrade the cpu/mobo/ram

Rich said it best. Even a lower end X2 3800+ will perform MILES around a single core 64 bit. Not to mention a SKT 754 CPU would be an awful price/performance ratio regardless of how much you pay for it.

Ah ok this is all fantastic help, i used to be really up todate on new technology and i did 2 years of a computing degree but im well out of date. Basically im saying i need some info :p. Ok i just bought new ram, 2 gigs, 2 gigs when i last tried to keep up with new tech was amazing. 2 gig ddr 3200, its working well for me however your all mentioning new ram so im guessing ill need ddr2 for a duel core processor.

2nd I have a 7600 GS 256mb, I like it, I mean I dont need anything more powerful its um APG8X will that socket come on a dual processor motherboard?

So basically can I upgrade to dual core without changing my other stuff apart from my motherboard?

You will still need new ram. But with the 780G and 790GX boards you wouldn't have to worry about a video card. Seeing how they come with some great on board graphics.

Get a new mobo, cpu, and ram. Then you can get a better GPU some where down the line.

Its under 200$ for ram, CPU, and mobo. The GPU is entirely up to you when or what you want to upgrade to.

SKT 754 CPU's will only cost as much if not more then current AMD Dual Cores.

That is, if you can find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom