Hard Drive Merging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prisonbreak94

In Runtime
Hi all,

I am using a Seagate 500GB 32MB sata2 7200.11NCQ hard disk on my custom built desktop. As usual, the hard drive is split into C: and D: drives. But I am disturbed that my C: drive only has a total of 97GB (which is now almost full) while my D: Drive has a total of 400GB space.

I am wondering if I should maybe merge the two drives together, or is there any other way I could maybe switch the D drive with the C drive without having to go all the fuss of transferring files etc...

I have read some other forums and some people say that the D Drive may contain recovery files or something like that. Here are the names of the folders that I have on my D:Drive:

-5a7e549f6ca37872727445
-23b447e6d4ebcb23b1d0d384
-cd9c826790e8e19991a397910329
-6a6712377551d6fe5d5f54

These files take up a total of 400MB on the D drive. There is nothing else on the drive.

Appreciate your help,
Daniel
-

thanks for the links, fatclown, but my question is if it is safe to do such a thing (merging two partitions into 1) - and if there is any other way that is maybe safer, easier...??

are you looking to keep your files on D?

another option is to shrink your D partition, and increasing the volume of your C partition

safe? yes if you know what you are doing.

I don't know any other software to do this type of task, hopefully someone else more knowledgeable will come along

Theres no files on D except for some windows stuff (which I've heard is probably recovery files) as I told above. Names of those files again are:

-5a7e549f6ca37872727445
-23b447e6d4ebcb23b1d0d384
-cd9c826790e8e19991a397910329
-6a6712377551d6fe5d5f54

I want to keep these on D, yes. It would be nice if I could shrink D and increase the C partition, but I don't want to lose any files on either partition on the way. How can I shrink d and increase C then? And can I set whatever value I want (i.e. 50GB on D and 450 on C?) or is there a limit?

thanks

Here is what I read on another forum and it is my concern. This is why I wander if doing all of this will be safe or not:

''If I owned nothing but a XP CD, this CD can't repair the OS if I expanded it past 127GB (more details at 48bitLBA.com - HOME )

If I owned the XP SP1 or XP SP2 CD then I would not limit myself.

-> Another downside to plain XP CDs is that some create a second partition past the 127GB limitation (which works after you apply SP1/SP2) and the day comes they have to reload XP. PANIC ensues as the other partition vanishes.

Don't panic in that situation but apply SP1 or SP2 to regain access to the other partitions. Imagine the poor soul that attempts to repair this situation before SP1/SP2 is applied. They usually lose it all.''

Can you tell me about this?

A hard disk is usually subdivided into one or more partitions. These partitions are normally not re-sizable (making one smaller and the adjacent one larger.) gparted makes it possible for you to take a hard disk and change the partition organization, while preserving the partition contents.

gparted_5_big.jpg

from GParted -- Screenshots

alright - have you used this software? I downloaded it but all of the files are in weird format, now im going to download acronis disk manager, it seems more reliable. But I hope using such software doesn't cause any problems... Some people say the partition might vanish later on. Got any idea bout this stuff?

Move the files from D: to C: and then kill D: and give the space to C:. I use PartionMagic for this, myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom