AGP Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

singlegamer

Beta member
I want to upgrade my graphics card so I can run vista and some of my favorite games I recently bought. Just to find that my computer can't run it. I currently have a nVidia GeForce4 MX420. Here is the information I got from it off of a program that tells me the info of my hardware.

Type: AGP
Version: 2.00
Current Data Transfer Rate: 4X / 4X
Maximum Bus Bandwidth: 264mb/s

I found this graphics card: Radeon HD 3850

But I'm not sure if it will work. Any Ideas?

You really need to upgrade your entire system ....

BUT, the Radeon HD 3850, is currently the fastest AGP card ever made.

and the HIS IceQ Radeon 3850 is the fastest of the fastest AGP cards ever made.

But seriously, invest in a new mobo/cpu/ram

you can get a 780GX motherboard/processor for about 140 total, and it COMES with a radeon HD3300 onboard!, with a cheap 30-40 dollar Gskill 2gb ram kit, you can upgrade the entire computer!!

seriously its a waste of money to buy the HD3850AGP (i was going to do the same thing before these fellas on tech forums led me in the right direction)

Here i'll go a step further, i'll post back with some good links for you.

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

This one has CrossfireX support! so you can upgrade to a NICE video solution down the road!
(and the onboard graphics are going to COMPLETELY outclass your geforce 4 mx by about 500%)
And it comes with a dual core 5200+ processor!
150$ for that

and-- heres some ram to go in it-

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

in the mean time, whats your budget?

+1
AGP is DEAD!

but yes, that card will work, if your current power supply is strong enough to support it

then your CPU will probably bottleneck it, then you will probably want to upgrade that

that brings us back to... start out fresh with new system

not to mention his current card is an AGP 4x card,

if his AGP slot is 2x/4x only, its delivering 3.3v instead of the 1.5v needed by *cough* "modern" AGP cards.

This means even if it does fit, it may not work (and it might ruin the card)

and there is a good chance it wont fit

You really need to upgrade your entire system ....

BUT, the Radeon HD 3850, is currently the fastest AGP card ever made.

and the HIS IceQ Radeon 3850 is the fastest of the fastest AGP cards ever made.

But seriously, invest in a new mobo/cpu/ram

you can get a 780GX motherboard/processor for about 140 total, and it COMES with a radeon HD3300 onboard!, with a cheap 30-40 dollar Gskill 2gb ram kit, you can upgrade the entire computer!!

seriously its a waste of money to buy the HD3850AGP (i was going to do the same thing before these fellas on tech forums led me in the right direction)

Here i'll go a step further, i'll post back with some good links for you.

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

This one has CrossfireX support! so you can upgrade to a NICE video solution down the road!
(and the onboard graphics are going to COMPLETELY outclass your geforce 4 mx by about 500%)
And it comes with a dual core 5200+ processor!
150$ for that

and-- heres some ram to go in it-

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

in the mean time, whats your budget?

790GX or 780g not 780gx :D

But otherwise its true :)

I would only bother with an agp upgrade if you can find a good deal on a more modern card. Troll through like ebay and places like that, I wouldn't invest more than $50 if I were you. Any more than that and honestly it doesn't make much long term sense. For not much more than $100 you can upgrade your entire system to something much faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom