Which HDD should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerokid51

Solid State Member
Well, I'm going to buy a new computer, but I don't know too much about hard drives and their performance, I'm deciding to buy a HDD of 160 or 250 GB, and I want to know which one is better between: Samsung, Western Digital, Seagate and Maxtor. And Why?

Oh jeez i can see this turning into an argument already....

They all make good drives, and bad drives.
You get what you pay for.

The quality drives are going to have a larger cache, faster access time, and higher RPM.

Generally western digital is the most recommended (for good reason). They have excellent support, and I personally have never had one die on me, ever. I have also had extensive experience with seagate and can say that typically they tend to be much louder then their western digital counterparts. That said, they are both great hard drives, I just tend to go for western digital because of the noise factor.

keep in mind, a hard drive is just a hard drive. there isn't anything 'better' to each individual manufacturer beyond customer support. there are bad apples in every bunch and you choose based on price and space. very simple.

Oh I'm sure it depends on the hard drive. Some WD drives might be louder than seagates, I was just recalling my personal experience in having owned many of both. It's entirely possible I received good WD's and bad seagates.

I do disagree that all hard drive manufacturers are the same. That's like saying all monitor manufacturers are the same, just different resolutions.

Well thank you for all your answers, my HDD is a SeaGate and it has worked for 5 years now, but I read a lot of comments about new SeaGate HDD and they say Seagate has lowered the quality on their HDD, but again I don't know too much about it. So you mean buying a HDD is like a lottery?. Well thanks again for your answers.

Well thank you for all your answers, my HDD is a SeaGate and it has worked for 5 years now, but I read a lot of comments about new SeaGate HDD and they say Seagate has lowered the quality on their HDD, but again I don't know too much about it. So you mean buying a HDD is like a lottery?. Well thanks again for your answers.

buying ANY peice computer hardware is like playing the lotto

We have all had bad hardware, and great hardware.

Sometimes cheap stuff is excellent, somtimes expensive stuff sucks.

buying ANY peice computer hardware is like playing the lotto

We have all had bad hardware, and great hardware.

Sometimes cheap stuff is excellent, somtimes expensive stuff sucks.

very, very true

for me WD have been better than seagate but samsung have been even better.
i think it was around 7200.9 when seagate were in a league of their own but since then i've heard that they have been getting louder and loosing out to the competition
my newest server has the 160GB WD and 4 250GB samsungs in raid 5 originally purchaced for another machine just over a year ago and everything is still ok there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom