Why do people put two hdd's in their comp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
lawl.

um raid is just like setting up a few drives to do different things. there are 4 main types of raid that you'd see as an end user.

raid 0- Stripe: makes for faster read times as the data is shared over the 2 drives.

raid 1- Mirror: drive one holds data, drive 2 is a direct clone of drive 1. drive one dies, drive 2 kicks in, saves your ***.

raid 5- Stripe with Parody: usually 5+ drives (3 at least) drives A, B, C, basically one drive is data, one drive is a mirror of the data drive and there's a third for extra backup

raid 10- Strip + Mirror: 4+ drives (in sets of 2) raid 0 plus a backup of each drive for mirroring.

How much faster is stripe than mirror? I would think it would be quite a bit faster if you have to save two copies of everything with mirror. I would think this setup would be slower than one drive. A stripe setup would be one where you have your os on one drive, and everything else on the other? Can you really fit 4 hdd's in your comp or do you have to start going external? What do most people go, stripe or mirror?

yes you can, (major servers have up to, and beyond 20 hard drives)

most new motherboards come with 6 sata2 ports, and 1 EIDE port

thats a maximum of 8 hard disks=)

What about the speeds and how most people are set up? That is, most people who know how to do this?

I cant speak for everyone, but Personally...

I use a raid 1 setup so i dont lose all my crap =P

It depends on what your doing, Raid 0 is going to make a good bit of difference in loading times in games and windows startup time.

But unless your copying LARGE files, or doing some intensive disk work, i personally dont see a huge benefit. And i prefer raid1

What if, say, I wanted to start out with raid zero for faster game load times, but then, later, I bought two more hdd's for raid 10. Would it be hard to change? And would I need to buy two more of the exact same hdd's?

Also, I would consider games large files. They tend to be around 8GB now.

One more thing, you don't need any kind of software to do this, do you?

Yes they are 8gb total installation size, but your only loading 200mb-1gb at a time

(crysis doesnt even fill up 1gb of ram when loading)

im talking about folks that create files, or create zipped archives extensively.

And i dont know about your first question, if Peter.Cort comes back im sure he'll give you a good answer on that one.

(you dont need software most of the time but you may need to install raid drivers before it will work correctly)

lawl.

um raid is just like setting up a few drives to do different things. there are 4 main types of raid that you'd see as an end user.

raid 0- Stripe: makes for faster read times as the data is shared over the 2 drives.

raid 1- Mirror: drive one holds data, drive 2 is a direct clone of drive 1. drive one dies, drive 2 kicks in, saves your ***.

raid 5- Stripe with Parody: usually 5+ drives (3 at least) drives A, B, C, basically one drive is data, one drive is a mirror of the data drive and there's a third for extra backup

raid 10- Strip + Mirror: 4+ drives (in sets of 2) raid 0 plus a backup of each drive for mirroring.

this is nealy correct
RAID 0: is not limited to 2 drives. This is an aweful RAID level because it does not do what it says on the tin ie it does not provide any data redundancy (quite the opposite in fact)
RAID 1: correct
RAID 5: lol @ parody (it uses parity) block level (as opposed to byte level) striping with distributed parity there is no mirroring
RAID 10: note this is different from RAID 1 and RAID 01. it is a stripe like in RAID 0 but instead of striping across drives it is striping across mirrored pairs. this means you get the best of all worlds (except cost lol) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom