PC Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the input, but that 4870 is actually $269 with a rebate, its a better video card with more memory, I plan on going crossfire with it eventually and I would like to stick with ATI. Other than that how does the rest of the system look?

Are you going to do overclocking? If so, then the Sunbeam Core Contact I mentioned before would be a good thing to add. It's a good deal, and it comes with TX-2.

I don't plan on doing any overclocking right now. But if I do, I will make sure and pick up a quality heat sink. Plus I am curious to see what kind of a difference an after market one will make.

with a high-end cpu, an after market cooler will make a difference anywhere from 5 to 25c at load,

some stock coolers are kinda good (the original athlon x2 coolers were awesome, with heatpipes and such,) but the new ones suck.....badly...

I think you would be better off with a different motherboard. The Biostar I45 is a really good motherboard, and is an incredible overclocker, with pretty much the same advantages as the DFI board you picked out. It's almost 80 dollars cheaper as well.

With that extra money you could get that Sunbeam Core Contact Cooler.

Too late...already ordered the parts, will be here Monday. Out of curiosity does the Bio star board support DDR2 1066 ram, dual crossfire at 16x and allow room for overclocking?

Your motherboard will be fine dont worry, =), you should be more than happy with it.

But to answer your question- yes the biostar supports SLI, and 1066 ram, and the Biostar Tforce series is great for overclocking.

Holy crap, this thing is sweet!!!! I got it all together on Tuesday with no problems, other than hooking up the HD light backwards. Easy fix.

Forget about overclocking, there is no need. I am running Fallout 3 on max settings with no frame rate issues at all. Also started up a new game on Half Life 2 for some fun, it was maxed out at 299 fps..... Temps are good, cpu is sitting around 55 to 60c and even after playing Fallout 3 for hours the video card is hardly breaking a sweat at 50c.

Thanks for all your help guys. Your input was very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom