Compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That model will not only run the DDR2 533 memory but the faster DDR2 667 memory available. The specifications are the thing to refer to seen at Motherboard Specifications, A8M2N-LA (NodusM)*

With the prices on memory taking a sharp fall lately you can grab a 2gb kit of 667 memory for about the same price as seen with the Kingston memory at Newegg.com - Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

It was actually a gift. Thanks though, I might take action on that.

The thing is, right now I'm running just one of them, and it's running like normal with 1 GB RAM.

But when I have all of them in, the system beeps and does not startup.

It's likely one of the dimms is defective if the system is sounding off with both in. The system has it's own audio alert set up to let you know there's a problem. With a working pair of dimms you wouldn't see that problem unless the voltage requirement or timings are not compatible with the Asus board.

It's likely one of the dimms is defective if the system is sounding off with both in. The system has it's own audio alert set up to let you know there's a problem. With a working pair of dimms you wouldn't see that problem unless the voltage requirement or timings are not compatible with the Asus board.

I'm thinking that it might be a memory slot problem. But that's another story.

Is there a way to check if one of the sticks is faulty?

memtest! That's a free Linux tool for stress testing memory with cd images available now over the original dos type floppy version. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool sees the latest version there. The alternate site even seeing a premade cd for cost and shipping is available at Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic

When starting memtest also seen now as a boot option in Vista you let the tool run for several hours to see a series of stress tests repeat over and over which will report any faults found with the memory installed. Another quick method to see if there any immediate problems noticed would be removing one of the two dimms and running memtest on one at a time in order to detect if one is faulty.

The specifications for the Asus board on that model show that speed and DDR2 667 memory are the standard and should run without any problems unless you simply ended up with one dimm being defective. PNY memory is far from being one of the top brands while defect free memory by them will still work. Memtest and trying each dimm by itself would be the thing to do now however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom