e8400 @ 5.0ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 8800gt, sorry I for some reason didnt catch your question. haha.

You've already outrun your 8800GT, which is called GPU bottlenecking. Overclocking won't increase your FPS at all at this point. You can still try for a higher clock, but you won't see any difference in games.

I outran my GTX 260 at about 3.4GHz when I stopped seeing any increase in FPS.

hm yah I was aware of GPU bottlenecking, but i didnt realize it would happen to me that quick.

So, would you happen to know, Am I bottlenecked at 3.0ghz, or am I bottlenecked at 3.8?

Also won't I see some sort of improvement outside of games?

He isn't bottlenecking. Bottlenecking through the cpu is rare. If it was as wide spread as people say then overclocking your cpu would show a marked improvement in gaming. But ti rarely does. In fact the only way to test cpu performance in games is when you turn the graphics all the way down and compare fps. There is no way an e8400 would hold back an 8800gt.

thats not much of an upgrade... 4870 i say ;)

or gtx260!

and as far as help... not much i can think of here.. really all depends what kind of voltage ur chip likes at what clocks

alright so I guess I need to upgrade.. since we know what card I need...

who wants to buy it for me :DD

just kidding, thanks guys for your help. I'm going to keep this baby at 3.8ghz and keep the fans on low to keep it quiet. When I need more speed for my CPU ill oc it a bit more.

thanks again for your help

He isn't bottlenecking. Bottlenecking through the cpu is rare.
That's why I said he was bottlenecked through his GPU :confused:
If it was as wide spread as people say then overclocking your cpu would show a marked improvement in gaming.
Hence why we said his desired OC wouldn't show improvements in gaming.
There is no way an e8400 would hold back an 8800gt.
well, I think you get the idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom