Why do people put two hdd's in their comp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One drive with all your stuff fails...you lose everything.

Two drives, one drive with windows and programs and the second one with music/movies and setup files...first drive fails guess what...you can just reinstall no biggie.

I simply ran out of space,
music/movie collection grows....
I actually have 3 HDDs and one more in transit

Putting your OS on one drive and your programs on another physical drive (as opposed to a different partition) will give you better performance. Your computer will be able to access both drives at the same time with full bandwidth instead of acccessing one and then the other.

As said above, putting data (music and other files) on a separate drive keeps it safer than not. If your system disk dies, your other data is still there on the other drive.

Of course there are other options such as the different flavors of RAID that require multiple disks and various benefits, as well.

Plus, you can never have too much storage space.

i have 2 160s and a 640. All my games/movies/music/data are on the 640. Whenever i change motherboard/video cards i pop in the empty 160 and reinstall and the 2nd 160 goes on the shelf until which time i decide to do it all over again. You think 2 drives is bad? My media pc has 5 drives. At the time 750gb was as big as you could get so i bought 5 of them for raid.

And hard drives are so cheap nowadays...theres no reason not to get two drives.

I remember 80gb pata drives used to cost $100.

Now you can get a 640gb sata drive for $70.

well i got 2 in Raid-0

basicly when i came to get the drives there was a 1TB drive for £120 or i could of got 2 and put them in raid for £88, basicly i put it down to cost to me they do the the same thing in the end (never been a performance hog)

Ok, I see what you guys are saying. I got this comp when the hdd on my last comp failed. What is this raid though that you speak of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom