Looking to upgrade CPU, need advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So does anybody know about the release date for the Phenom X2 6500+ or Athlon X2 6500+ (I don't know what it'll go by)

So does anybody know about the release date for the Phenom X2 6500+ or Athlon X2 6500+ (I don't know what it'll go by)

The next batch of Phenoms will be out supposedly in January 2009 according to one article spotted lately. The X4s will finally reach the 3ghz mark for the AM3 model cpus then. You would need at least an AM2+ board in order to run any of them however.

Lately newegg has been stocking the 6400+s but not last fall when the 6000+ 125w model was the only top of the line model seen when ordering here. KMOTE wouldn't be able to order from there or TigerDirect anyways however.

sorry i dont know, but how is that hd3200 treating you?

Its ok.. still the second best IGP out there.. after the HD 3300...

But overclocked its got decent performance, but not enough to run all my games at the top resolution.. or Oblivion with all the crazy mods I want

Its ok.. still the second best IGP out there.. after the HD 3300...

Dude my Biostar 790GX has the HD 3300 :D

I know IGP sucks compared to a designated GPU. But still, its nice to know if my GPU screws up on me. That I still have a decent IGP to fall back on.

The next batch of Phenoms will be out supposedly in January 2009 according to one article spotted lately. The X4s will finally reach the 3ghz mark for the AM3 model cpus then. You would need at least an AM2+ board in order to run any of them however.
My motherboard also supports Phenom FX!!!

Also there are MANY games that recommend Core2Duos while at the same time recommending its AMD counterpart. Because its the stock settings the recommendations are made from. Not after over clocking an E2140 to 3.3ghz and setting that as the standard clock for the E2140's.

So even AMD Chips are able to handle gaming.

They can handle gaming, but not as well as the Intel counterpart.

I think that system requirements are unbalanced in some cases. For example, Crysis Warhead recommends: Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz/Athlon X2 4400+ or better

But there's no chance that a 4400+ is even remotely as fast as a C2D 2.2GHz. Maybe an AMD 5400+ would be closer.

BTW, I never knew it was possible to overclock an IGP :eek: That's a weird thought. Though IGP's are improving, they'll still never match up to a dedicated card.

Although the post has kinda trailed off my original thread, thanks to everyone who has posted, i can confirm my WoW fps is 100-200 when there is no one around and my pc is not being challenged, but as soon as i raid or it is busy my PC seems to bottleneck and stays at around 15-20 fps, this makes it really hard to play properly. I will purchase a new CPU to solve this problem, not sure which one yet though.

Dude my Biostar 790GX has the HD 3300 :D

I know IGP sucks compared to a designated GPU. But still, its nice to know if my GPU screws up on me. That I still have a decent IGP to fall back on.

Also there are MANY games that recommend Core2Duos while at the same time recommending its AMD counterpart. Because its the stock settings the recommendations are made from. Not after over clocking an E2140 to 3.3ghz and setting that as the standard clock for the E2140's.

You got a new Board?!

Getting ready for Deneb aren't we now ;)

When looking at the AMD reference charts you need an AM2/AM2+ capable board since the Phenoms fall in the AM2+ catagory. One question here is which model 4800+ are you running? You have 3ghz listed in your sig for ocing the 4800+? The four models see two at 2.4ghz and two at 2.5ghz stock. AMD Processors for Desktops: AMD Phenom?, AMD Athlon? FX, AMD Athlon? X2 Dual-Core, AMD Athlon?, and AMD Sempron? Processor

As far as gaming with AMD cpus I've been gaming as well as running a good number of other things over the years strictly running AMD models on the different builds. The recommendations for a Core 2 simply is what they recommend while you would surprized to see just what models by both AMD and Intel alike will run a large variety of games. Just about any game will run on a system seeing a single cored cpu while maybe slower depending on clock speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom