Motherboard advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
something concerning the core i7s performance:

"A 2.93 GHz Core i7 940 system has been used to run a 3DMark Vantage benchmark and gave a CPU score of 17,966.[13] The 2.66 GHz Core i7 920 scores 16,294. A earlier generation Core processor, 2.66 GHz Core 2 Quad Q9450 scores 11,131.[14]

AnandTech tested the Intel QuickPath Interconnect (4.8 GT/s version) and found the copy bandwidth using triple-channel 1066 MHz DDR3 was 12.0 GB/s. A 3.0 GHz Core 2 Quad system using dual-channel 1066 MHz DDR3 achieved 6.9 GB/s.[15]

Overclocking will be possible with the 900 series and a motherboard equipped with the X58 chipset. In early October 2008, reports surfaced that it will not be possible to use "performance" DDR3 DIMMs that require voltages higher than 1.65v, because the integrated memory controller within the Core i7 will be damaged.[16] Some tests however have demonstrated that the voltage limit does not apply, like on an MSI board, and manufacturers can choose to bond CPU voltage to memory or not. By the end of that month, Performance memory vendors had announced 1.65v DDR3 memory kits with speeds up to 2GHz.

Some early articles suggested that i7's design is not ideal for gaming performance. In a test done on leaked hardware, a Core i7 940 compared to a QX9770 shows the Core i7 is slower than Yorkfield clock for clock in 2 games while being faster in the other two. Difference in all cases are small.[17] However, more recent testing done on all speeds of official hardware with final drivers and BIOS reveisions show that Core i7 at the very least beats Yorkfield clock-for-clock, and in most cases exceeds it by an average of about 17%.[18]

In the single-threaded Super PI 1M test, a Core i7 920 running at 2.66 Ghz finished the test in 15.36 seconds, while a QX9770 (3.2 Ghz) did the test in 14.42 seconds,[19]so the Core i7 executed 20% more instructions per clock cycle on this test.

Since the Core i7 is a quad-core processor, Hyperthreading cannot yield any performance improvement for application workloads with fewer than five simultaneous threads when all the cores are fully powered on, and some applications will suffer a performance degradation when hyperthreading is enabled.[20] Hyperthreading will provide its best improvement when the workload has eight or more simultaneous threads."

wonder how it will peform in games of course :p

the P45 effectively replaces the p35. It was designed for Intel's 45nm Core2 processors. P45 is really good at overclocking. The Biostar P45 has the current world record for fsb, 725mhz and the Gigabyte p45 is really good at overclocking quad core processors.

P45s support Crossfire, they do not support sli. If you want SLI you have to get an nvidia board. The problem with them is that they aren't very reliable and don't OC as well as the P45s. The only Nvidia board I would recommend would be the 750iFTW, And I still think it is over priced.

Corei7 is Intel's new processor that will come out on the 17th of this month. X58 is the enthusiast level motherboard that will go with it (it replaces x48 and x38). Unless you have several hundred dollars to put towards the cpu and motherboard alone I wouldn't worry about them until next year.

Thanks for the summary, but do the p45s support crossfire as well as dedicated crossfire mother boards? Also what was the x48 and x38 known for then? Seems like the Core i7 is pretty exclusive since its only supported by the x58 and requires ddr3 right?

The p45s do support crossfire, the big difference between the P series and X series is that the P series motherboards have one 16x pcie 2.0 slot and one that runs at 8x. The x series pcie slots both run at 16x. This isnt a big deal because its very hard for a video card to saturate a pcie slot. IMO there isn't much of a point in getting an X series.

The reason why Corei7 only has one chipset is because Intel releases new processors in waves. They first come out with the enthusiast segment and a few months later release the rest. The X58 is the enthusiast chipset, therefore it comes out first. The Corei7's are showing about a 17-20% performance increase clock for clock over the current gen quad cores. That's a pretty large amount. I wouldn't worry about Getting a Corei7 setup just yet because it is very expensive. The motherboards alone cost several hundred dollars whereas an I45 goes for $160.

And 1337 JohnN I have seen a gigabyte P45 do 500mhz fsb on a quad core, that is very impressive for a quad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom