System BIOS functions ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

walid97

Baseband Member
Hi guys,

What are the exact functions of the BIOS.

As I understaood, first of all, BIOS is responsible of booting the PC because the memory is empty.

Second, all hardware (video, ports, sound..) need an accompanying program that provides the CPU with the code necessary to comminucate.. this code is in the System BIOS.
(I am a bit confused here.. someone told me that this code can be found in an independant BIOS for every hardware (video), another one told me that this code can be found in the driver that come with the hardare) !!

I have 2 questions here:

1) These are the 2 main functions of the System BIOS. right??

2) But where do we find these "codes" that are needed for a communication between hardware and CPU? System BIOS?independant BIOS? or software drivers ? (or everyone is an option?)

thanks !!

The BIOS (basic input/output system) reads and writes data to the CMOS. This data consists of information that is required to configure the hardware.

And the North/South Bridge is how the CPU communicates with the rest of the system.

and what about the codes of the hardware ? is it found in the System Bios? independant Bios on the chip (video, sound..)? or drivers ? (or eventually any of them?)

ok you got the wrong impression of 'CODES' you dont find any 'CODES' anywhere man. There are basic instructions a computer has. Either something is on or it is off....thats what the whole 0's and 1's are about, 0 is off, 1 is on...pretty sure unless I got that backwards. Your components don't look to the bios for instructions. the bios is just the base starting point, it tells your cpu what frequency to run at, what if any onboard peripherals need to be turned on, voltages, memory timings etc...the basics that they need to run....Your graphics card, sound card, network card, all that have the DRIVERS which are installed in the OS and so when you activate that component it basically uses the drivers as a manual on what to do. and yes video cards do have their own BIOS. Once again it does the same thing, tells the GPU (GPU instead of CPU cause its your Graphics Processing Unit) what frequency to run at and that sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom