Will this motherboard work? No IDE connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherrookie

Solid State Member
Hello -

On an earlier post, I asked for help deciding how to resolve an incompatibility issue with the motherboard I had purchased and the processor. One of the suggestions was to buy the Foxconn G43MX-K LGA 775 Intel 643 Micro ATX Intel motherboard.

This board looks good. However, it appears that there is no IDE connector. I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Hard Drive (640 GB, SATA)
I would like to install XP Home (Service Pack 2) on this hard drive. I read somewhere that I need drivers to do this. Does anybody know where I could find these drivers if I bought this board. Does this board accept 45nm CPU's, and is my CPU still usable. (I had previously inserted it in to an incompatible PC Chips motherboard.) Does this board support 667 MHz DDR2 RAM, and 800 MHz DDR2 RAM (240 Pin)? Any other advice with this build? I think the board will do, however, I am a little concerned with the lack of an IDE connector.

Thank You
anotherrookie is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

That board has a standard of DDR2 800 and supports OC's to 1066Mhz speeds, so yes, you could use 667 as well.

The lack of an IDE connector shouldn't concern you at all unless your using an IDE device. Most Optical drives/hard drives are now SATA II oriented so you should see no problems. Are you using any IDE devices?

As far as the processor support, it COULD support the 45nm chip out of the box depending on the BIOS revision. If it doesnt, then all it would need is a BIOS flash more than likely, but that would involve you having a spare 65nm chip laying around so you can boot up with it. Or you could buy a cheap Celeron off newegg or something.

This is the board your talking about, correct?

Newegg.com - Foxconn G43MX-K LGA 775 Intel G43 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Hi again -

Yes, this is the correct motherboard. I guess what I'm really concerned about is whether I can install Windows XP (SP2) without any problems. Does this motherboard come with drivers? Otherwise, is it possible to emulate the SATA HD as an IDE HD (UATA) if necessary to install the OS? (Can you tell that I'm used to working with older computers?) I'd really appreciate any help I can get!:confused:

The motherboard will come with a disc with all the proper drivers for that motherboard. Since you have a SATA hdd, all you have to do is plug it in a SATA port on your motherboard. It should be recognized within bios, and install your OS onto it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom