Buying Cheap Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
That looks painfully slow probably. My old 478 Pentium 4 is probably a lot faster than that. You might be better off building your own, maybe with a Celeron Conroe and a cheap G31 board. Then again if you don't want to build your own, I guess that pc could be good for just browsing.

Via C-7 is a chip that is the next generation of chips that were based off of the Cyrix M-3 chips.

They are NOT slow for word processing, internet use, and even light gaming.

They are specifically designed for that purpose, (work / internet / file server usage)

If your mother plays games like scrabble, frogger, and old-school stuff like that, she will be more than happy with the Via CPU

Yes it will run firefox, at full speed, no problems-

she can even play Flash / Java games online (like tomb raider, or any of those games on that website i forgot which one it is)

Cyrix used to make good cpus, back in the 486/pentium era, and they are still good today,

they are not going to play bioshock or crysis at full speed, but for internet use, word processing, work, and light gaming it will be just fine

(keep in mind, the cyrix m-3 was a pentium 2 competetor, and this c-7 is at least 3 or 4 generations newer and faster. Pentium 2 cpus still make good internet machines.)

i have an AMD 5x86 (80486) @ 180mhz running firefox just fine=)

You might also want to throw in a gig of ram, otherwise do some tweaking on vista (disable startup programs and turn of all that security rubbish)

This will be fine for your purposes. Like was said, another gig of ram would be nice. But you'll have no trouble using it as a browsing machine.

That is a VIA C7. Its meant for really small low power pcs. They are popular in car pcs and the like. I would not recommend one for an everyday pc. They are very specialized.

Via C-7 is a chip that is the next generation of chips that were based off of the Cyrix M-3 chips.

They are NOT slow for word processing, internet use, and even light gaming.

They are specifically designed for that purpose, (work / internet / file server usage)

If your mother plays games like scrabble, frogger, and old-school stuff like that, she will be more than happy with the Via CPU

Yes it will run firefox, at full speed, no problems-

she can even play Flash / Java games online (like tomb raider, or any of those games on that website i forgot which one it is)

Cyrix used to make good cpus, back in the 486/pentium era, and they are still good today,

they are not going to play bioshock or crysis at full speed, but for internet use, word processing, work, and light gaming it will be just fine

(keep in mind, the cyrix m-3 was a pentium 2 competetor, and this c-7 is at least 3 or 4 generations newer and faster. Pentium 2 cpus still make good internet machines.)

i have an AMD 5x86 (80486) @ 180mhz running firefox just fine=)

All true but it will be slow in a Windows Vista environment and 1gb of RAM. You would need to add another 1gb of ram or downgrade to xp you could also just turn off all of vista's advanced extras like superfetch and UAC and trial that for a while. It won't be a speed demon unless you run it at around 20-30 background processes which will take a while to setup and if your mum is like mine (click everything repeatedly until something happens) it will be ruined within the week and need to be redone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom