USB Ports are "HOT" all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

alsimon96

Beta member
I recently purchased an eMachine computer. I discovered that the USB Ports are "HOT" all the time, even when the computer is "Shutdown".

If I disconnect 120VAC, the USB Ports are no longer powered but just as soon as I reconnect 120VAC, the Ports become "HOT".

The eMachine tech support tell me this is normal. I don't believe it. I have had quite a few PC's and this is the first one that acted like this.

I would welcome and thoughts regarding this issue.

See if there is bios setting that allows the computer to power up with a key press. If there is then disable it.

By "hot" do you mean literally hot (temperature, hot to the touch) or do you mean powered (like devices plugged into the port still run even when the PC is off)? Newer computers tend to leave the ports powered up all the time, as long as the PC is plugged in. This means you can use the ports to charge devices that charge from USB even if the PC is off. However, ports should never be physically hot to the touch, that's usually indicative of an electrical short or something, which is never good. If it is hot to the touch, it needs attention.

By "HOT", I mean they are electrically "HOT".

In other words, if I have a portable USB powered hard drive, it will continue to run even after the computer shuts down. The only way that I could stop the hard drive would be to unplug the computer or unplug the hard drive.

This is the first computer that I have seen that acts like this.

Hello,

This doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem your computer. Some motherboards keep the USB ports powered when the computer is turned off, so that you can charge USB devices without having to turn on the computer.

As already said, check your BIOS settings, or the motherboard itself for a USB power jumper. If you're unsure, check your system manual, motherboard manual, or post us the model of your computer or motherboard.

Alvin:
Thanks for your input. The computer is an eMachine Model T3642. I will try to find the information on the motherboard. I have looked at the BIOS but it is unclear if any of the settings relate to the USB Ports being "powered". Can you tell me what I should look for in the BIOS settings?
Allan Simon

I have some additional information on my computer.

Processor:
AMD #50ff3, 2600 MHZ
201 MHZ external bus

BIOS
Phoenix Technologies
LTD 6.00 PG 11/10/2007

Based on this information, if anyone knows what setting in the BIOS to change I would appreciate it.

I hope this helps.

Allan Simon

OK, I finally found information on the Motherboard. For my eMachine Model T3642, the motherboard is:

MCP61SM2MA AM2 uATX

I hope this means something to someone out there. I sure would like to find a way of setting my computer up so the USB Power goes off when the computer shuts down. eMachine Technical Support has been no help at all.

Thanks for any help you might give.

Allan Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom