I hate to do this... but will this build work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corrado33

Beta member
Hi Everybody,
I'm new here, and I really just want to make sure that this build will work. I've always wanted to build a computer and I'm finally doing it. I just want to be 100% sure it'll work before I buy everything.

This computer is a budget PC for my parents. It's replacing a 10 year old HP(which is the most useless POC ever). All they really do is read e-mail and get online. I want it to be semi-future proof (so it'll last another 10 years, and maybe be actually useful for the first 5 or so.) So here goes..

Also, please don't tell me to buy a Dell or HP, I WANT to build a computer, that's the point of doing this.

Fell free if you want to suggest something the same price (or within 10 bucks)

Here is all of the parts (I've left out input devices)

I was referred this Motherboard from another forum who weren't much help besides that. It seems like a good motherboard and it's pretty much the max I want to spend on one.
Intel BOXDG35EC LGA 775 Intel G35 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Processor: I picked this one because... well, I like intel? No really I wanted a dual core processor and this one had good reviews.
Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E5200 - Retail

Case: Cooler master makes good cases. And this one fit my motherboard and had a 120mm fan. Do you guys think I should buy another 120mm fan for the front/side?
COOLER MASTER Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

CD/DVD drive: I wanted a dvd burner, and this one was cheap and had good reviews. I have a question though, being a DVD reader/writer, that automatically means it burns/reads CDs? Cause I saw "Combo Drives" that read/write CDs, but only read DVDs.
LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model GH22NP20 - OEM

Hard Drive: This computer doesn't need a large drive. It's replacing an old computer that had a 32 Gigs of space, and that was never even close to filling up.
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Memory: Kingston= Good memory. 2 gigs is plenty for XP.
Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2/2GR - Retail

Power supply: OCZ = Good power supplies. I was referred to a cheaper OCZ power supply, which gave less power. But this one came with a combo deal with the motherboard and ended up being the same price so overkill? Maybe, but so what it's the same price.
OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

I've also bought a keyboard, mouse PS/2 connectors, and a monitor.

Thanks in advance, sorry if you guys get like 30 of these a day...:(

Thanks for the very quick reply!! Less than 5 minutes I believe!! Anyway, I was honestly thinking of getting a SATA DVD drive, but I've heard that Windows XP has trouble recognizing them making it hard to actually install windows? Or something like that... Is that a problem? I love SATA for wiring simplicity. (I hate IDE cables).

Also I forgot to ask, but what makes a computer 64 bit compatible? I think most (if not all) of the hardware is 64 bit compatible, so it that all that's needed?

Thanks for the very quick reply!! Less than 5 minutes I believe!! Anyway, I was honestly thinking of getting a SATA DVD drive, but I've heard that Windows XP has trouble recognizing them making it hard to actually install windows? Or something like that... Is that a problem? I love SATA for wiring simplicity. (I hate IDE cables).

Also I forgot to ask, but what makes a computer 64 bit compatible? I think most (if not all) of the hardware is 64 bit compatible, so it that all that's needed?

Yeah the stuff you chose is 64 bit compatible. Pretty much all hardware made within the past few years is 64 bit compatible. As for XP not recognizing SATA drives, I don't know, but I think you'll be fine with a SATA drive.

ive done multiple installs of xp on multiple sata dvd drives and never have had any problems, just make sure u have ur boot devices set up correctly in bios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom