Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

honestmaxx

Solid State Member
Okay, so I've recently installed 2 new sticks of 1 GB RAM with my 2 pre-existing sticks of 512 MB.

The problem is, it simply isn't reporting to the my Operating System. Which is Windows XP 32 bit. That should read my total of 3 GB RAM, right?

My computer says it's a Pavilion a1647c.

Whenever I do any Hardware Scans, they read all 3 GB of RAM, but say only 1 GB is reported to my OS. I've tried modifying the Boot.Ini tab, but it always switches right back to 1024 MB.

Halp?

Where are you checking how much RAM you have? Go to Run... -> type "dxdiag" in the box without the quotes. Check how much RAM it says you have there.

Where are you checking how much RAM you have? Go to Run... -> type "dxdiag" in the box without the quotes. Check how much RAM it says you have there.

It will still only read 1022 MB there as well.

Is there a chance they're just faulty sticks?

That's pretty unlikely. Download PCWizard and post what that is showing.

Manufacturer : Hewlett-Packard Company
Mainboard : Asus NODUSM
Chipset : nVidia nForce 410
Processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ @ 2200 MHz
Physical Memory : 1536 MB
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS
Hard Disk : WDC (250 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H652L
DVD-Rom Drive : MK2442V FQY250C SCSI CdRom Device
Monitor Type : Hewlett Packard HP w19b/w19e - 19 inches
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c

It reads 1.5 GB which is correct, because I have one of my 512 MB and 1 GB sticks removed for reference, just in case.

So it reads all correctly.

That means the modules are fine. You do have a very odd problem on your hands though. Try switching the two 512MB modules with the 1GB modules in the same slots and see if it reads 2GB.

That means the modules are fine. You do have a very odd problem on your hands though. Try switching the two 512MB modules with the 1GB modules in the same slots and see if it reads 2GB.

I have, and yet still it only reads 1 GB. Whatever I do, it doesn't want to read more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom