Can I OC with a 650w power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were you I would read our Guide to overclocking before you try anything drastic, otherwise you may damage your hardware. Beyond that, if you have any questions feel free to ask. We have many very experienced members here who know a great deal on the subject.

The OC guide can be found here.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/overclocking-basics-temperature-guide-20319/

Its pretty dated (circa 2004) but the same basics apply.

I was trying to find that guide, thank you. Bong, my cooler is in my sig (Artic Freezer).

I was hoping someone here had a T Power I45 mobo and a Q6600 and I could maybe share some settings with them?

I did download that CPU-Z thing last night. How do I find/calc what my new GHz is?

I'll read that guide at work today!

Are you able to overclock in windows instead of going to bios? when I loaded the app that comes with my mobo (T-Power2) there is a "OC Tweaker" function. It allows me to adjust things there. Does this work? Does it require a restart?

Yeah, there are several programs to oc in windows, but that is a bad idea. Always use the BIOS.

You have a very good board for overclocking. The I45 is a champ, the problem I see is that you have an older cooler. You should have invested in a TRUE or a Core Contact Freezer. Also the I45 was designed for the 45nm core2s, the Q6600 is 65nm so you wont be able to use its full potential, but I doubt that is much of an issue. You would need water or phase before you pushed the I45 to its limit.

The cooler I got was recommended from here so I just went with it. That other one you mentioned was also recommended. I personally can't see the difference...they all do the same thing right, use the same metals..is there really that much of a difference?

Any way, I'm only wanting to OC up to 3.0 GHz...I think I should be ok right? NosBoost is helping me out with the learning curve on OCing right now. :)

Yes there is a huge difference. There is nothing wrong with the AF7 pro, its just not as good at cooling, but it is also cheaper. There is a big difference between the cooling capabilities of the different heatsinks. Size, number of heatpipes, whether they are direct contact or are lapped, what thermal paste you use, and what fan(s) you use will all determine the cooling.

The AC Freezer 7 pro is only a decent cooler for dual cores. The Sunbeam Core Contact, Xigmatek rifle, and True are all better suited to quads.

With the AF7 pro you probably won't be able to overclock much higher than 3.2ghz.

We removed the thermal paste that was on the cooler and put some of the stuff my buddy had on there. He said it was expensive stuff....

I will not want to OC my computer over 3.0 so I am ok with it. Thanks for the info. Although, I do wish I knew this ahead of time...I would have went with the other one for safety measures.

The AF7 pro had MX-2 on it already which is the second best thermal paste. The only one that is better is tuniq TX-2 and it isn't expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom