PC randomly freezes. Getting tired of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very odd indeed. Well, if you can grab a cheapo video card, try it out, and if it doesn't freeze, RMA the card. Then return the cheapo one. Otherwise, try the same thing with the PSU.

I've already tried another card of the exact model of my current card, no joy, it continues to freeze.

The card just might not agree with my motherboard. I've heard that the 9800 GX2 is a bit of an unstable card. It's either that, or the PSU's dodgy.

Studying the PSU manual, it says that "if the LED on the PSU is green the PSU is working as normal" I've checked the PSU LED, and its green...so I take it the PSU is ok?

Just an update. I waved the white flag this morning and took the 9800 GX2 out of my system after I experienced yet another freeze.

I went down to PCWorld this morning and picked up a cheap(ish) PNY Nvidia Geforce 9400-GT PCIe card.

So far, the system hasn't froze. But it can strike at any moment! Just I'm not holding my breath, yet.

Good Luck, I bet they charged you too much for that 9400GT ;)

Too right mate. I knew that when I was walking into the store, lol. Unfortunately, there's not many places where I live that sell components at cheap prices. And I'm too impatient to buy online.

It actually cost me £50, and guess what...the problem STILL persists!

I'll just stick the card on ebay.

I've even installed a memory cooler just now. And yes, the problems STILL there.

...its not funny anymore, infact I think I'm about to commit mass murder.

it's surely the motherboard, do you have another one you can buy?

Have you tried formatting btw?

it's surely the motherboard, do you have another one you can buy?

Have you tried formatting btw?

I have a Nvidia 680i which I used to use, Nick. I might try installing that and see how it goes. Either that or I just fork out for a new Striker II....

Ok, just a suggestion. Download ubuntu and run that off the live cd and see what happens. It won't change whats on your hard drive. Let it run for a while and play with it and see if it freezes.

^ yhea leave that running all night and see if it freezez. i think it's your psu because that's the only other thing you have changed in your system right?

^ yhea leave that running all night and see if it freezez. i think it's your psu because that's the only other thing you have changed in your system right?

I'll try it guys. Nick, to answer your earlier question: yes, I have tried formatting. I've even gone to the extent of zero-filling my hard drive.

I think your right, Philbar. Its got to be the PSU. I've tried a different graphics card, I've tried memtest on my memory, I've tried moving the graphics card into a different pci-e slot...the only thing I haven't tried is running the OS off a IDE drive rather than SATA...

I might have to take the plunge and buy a new PSU. I've got for a 1000w next time. Any advice on a good high-end PSU thats 1000w?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom