PC randomly freezes. Getting tired of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is getting a replacement motherboard out of the question? :p

You know Nick, I'm starting to wonder whether I should. The Problem is, my current mobo was bought used from ebay. Apparently, there was nothing wrong with it when it was used by the guy I bought it from.

I don't think I could RMA it, could I? I've got the box and the contents, but I haven't got the paperwork.

Hmm you could definately get in contact with him, how long you had it?

Okay i just glanced over the topic. Just a thought. Have you tried to install RivaTuner to control the Fan speed on the GPU? That could help keep the heat down. Also what kind of colling do you have in the rest of the case? Could be that the heat is getting contained with in the case which is causing more components to overheat not just the GPU.

The GPU along with the CPU heat could be getting trapped in the case which could be causing things like your hard drives to get to hot.

Jsut a random thought from someone who really didnt pay attention to the whole thread. Sorry but thought i would give another alternative.

Okay i just glanced over the topic. Just a thought. Have you tried to install RivaTuner to control the Fan speed on the GPU? That could help keep the heat down. Also what kind of colling do you have in the rest of the case? Could be that the heat is getting contained with in the case which is causing more components to overheat not just the GPU.

The GPU along with the CPU heat could be getting trapped in the case which could be causing things like your hard drives to get to hot.

Jsut a random thought from someone who really didnt pay attention to the whole thread. Sorry but thought i would give another alternative.

Thanks for your input, Mak213.

Ok, I have the following...

The case is a Thermaltake Armor. I have two 120mm Scythe intake fans. I have a large 250mm intake fan thats built into the case door and at the back, I have a Scythe outtake fan and a small 90mm Thermaltake fan.

The CPU has the Thermalright Utra-120 cooler with two 120mm Noctua fans attached.

My CPU temps range from about 20c to 30c.

I haven't tried rivatuner, I might try that now.

Okay stupid question time. You have the fans pointed in the right direction right? Instead of intake have them take the air out of the case and blow it away from the components. While using them as intake is good, taking the hot air out of the case usually helps as well.

The temps are not that bad. But you never know.

Also you have SP1 install for Vista64 right?

Okay stupid question time. You have the fans pointed in the right direction right? Instead of intake have them take the air out of the case and blow it away from the components. While using them as intake is good, taking the hot air out of the case usually helps as well.

The temps are not that bad. But you never know.

Also you have SP1 install for Vista64 right?

Mak, I've got SP1.

Are you saying to have the intake fans turned around and used at outtakes at the front of the case? I have two outtakes at the back.

Some motherboards have issues when all 4 ram slots are occupied. If you're using 4GB, try a 2x2GB kit in dual channel. Since the only thing you have said that kept it from freezing so far was to use 1 stick, it makes sense that it could be your motherboard not liking all 4 slots filled. Check for BIOS updates as they can often fix this kind of thing.

Some motherboards have issues when all 4 ram slots are occupied. If you're using 4GB, try a 2x2GB kit in dual channel. Since the only thing you have said that kept it from freezing so far was to use 1 stick, it makes sense that it could be your motherboard not liking all 4 slots filled. Check for BIOS updates as they can often fix this kind of thing.

surgeVel, thanks for the advice. I've tried using just one stick of RAM, I just tried Call of Duty II and bam! Freeze after about 5 minutes of play.

My BIOS is also updated to the latest version.

Like I said before, this problem seems to have manifested ever since I put the new PSU and video card into my system. Does that tell me instantly what the problem is? Well, I don't know...maybe it is a defective PSU, even though its an Enermax Galaxy 850w and brand new and the video card is all brand new...or maybe the 790i chipset just doesn't like the card? Its really starting to pee me off!

Very odd indeed. Well, if you can grab a cheapo video card, try it out, and if it doesn't freeze, RMA the card. Then return the cheapo one. Otherwise, try the same thing with the PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom