Upgrading gpu: HD4870, GTX280 or 260?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually bought my 750iFTW for 200 bucks out the door including tax. And it has a 30 dollar rebate i still need to send in.

Sorry I don't mean to raise this thread from the dead but I thought it would be better then starting a new one.

A friend is running the 4870 x2. He loves it but he is sick of the fan speeds reseting back to default on him. The card runs HOT!! I put my hand by it and couldn't believe how hot it was!

So my question is this. Will I have these issues with the 4870 1GB? I cannot make up my mind on what to get here. This is confusing as ****! The 4850 looks pretty **** close in performance to the 4870 and it's much cheaper. Then I think about the crappy driver support from ATI then think maybe I should just go with a 260 216.

Is anyone here with a 4870 1GB having heat issues?

The stock fan on the HD4870 is set very low, if you increase the speed, you should have no problem.

I think stock speed is like 20%, if u set it to 35-40%, its still quiet and it'll keep it pretty cool.

Ok my budget for a card just got a little better. Around $400. So if you had around $400 to spend on a card would you recommend me a card based upon this?

Should I go with this: Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1280-AR GeForce GTX 280 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

or this: Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1284-AR GeForce GTX 280 SSC Edition 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

or do you have another recommendation?

Thanks for the help. This is such a hard decision!

I'd like to but my friend as the X2 and it runs SO HOT it is insane. I asked about the fan issues in this thread but neither of those fixes work for the X2. He stated he updated the drivers and user rivatuner and the fans still reset back to stock settings.

If I knew for a fact there is a fix for this I would consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom