External hard drive problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krakerjack

Beta member
Hey I just bought an external hard drive (Acomdata HybridDrive 2.5) and when I plug it in my Pc reads it fine and a new drive pops up in my computer. The new drive is not a external hard drive but a cd-rom drive.

Have any idea how to fix this?

Did the drive come with drivers? Check their website for drivers or software that may be required.

What OS are you using?

The only driver it came with is a USB 2.0 driver and already checked the site, nothing usefull.

Im using Windows Xp

When you plug it in, do you get the 'auto run' text box? If so can you just open the device in windows explorer?

Then what? It says the device has been installed and working properly?

When you go into 'my computer' what do you see?

It says that the device is currently working properly and when i open my computer I see my usual DVD-Rom D: and E: and a new CD-Rom F:

When I unplug the external drive the CD-Rom F: disapears and when I plug it back in it comes back

Okay, go to device manager (right click my computer, properties, then hardware, then device manager). Find the 'new cd drive' that it is detecting. Right click and go to update drivers. Then click no to check online for a driver. Then click install from a specific location. Then click don't choose a driver, i want to select from a list. Then see if you can find the proper driver for it.

May need to call their tech support. Try another computer and see if it is your computer or the drive that may be faulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom