Can I OC with a 650w power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
Specs are in sig. Let me know if you need to know anything else.

Just installed my new mobo. want to oc now!

BFG is a newcomer to the psu market but from what i hear they are great. You have more than enough power...you can oc both the cpu and gpu.

Well the guy that did my install and such who has his computer OC'ed said otherwise. He tried to put it at 3.0 and then dropped it down to about 2.65 I think. It wouldn't boot up.

I have never done this so I am lost on what to do. He tried to show me how to do some stuff but he was in a rush so not sure I got it all really. There was 3 items I can change that seems simple but the voltage stuff I got lost on.

:(

its not your PSU... you should have plenty of power there for OCing... you'll just have to increase the voltage on the core and the NB a bit (and maybe the RAM... the voltage will be on the sticker on the DIMM) and then pump up the FSB

its not your PSU... you should have plenty of power there for OCing... you'll just have to increase the voltage on the core and the NB a bit (and maybe the RAM... the voltage will be on the sticker on the DIMM) and then pump up the FSB

Can you explain that so that some one new (like me) understands? :D

What is NB and 'sticker on the DIMM'?

Can you explain that so that some one new (like me) understands? :D

What is NB and 'sticker on the DIMM'?

There's literally a sticker on your RAM that tells you it's voltage. Take a look at it.

The power supply has nothing to do with why he couldnt overclock more. While overclocking, once you get to a certain point, you have to raise the voltage of the cpu, so that it gets more power, which it needs because it's working harder.

Basically, because you're making it output more, there needs to be more input. NB and FSB, in terms of overclocking, deal with the voltage that the cpu receives, and these values are what needs to be turned up to overclock higher and keep the cpu stable.

I just went in and adjust 3 settings, RAM, FSB and the processor to 285 I think. It booted up for me!!! So I guess I am on my way to learning.

However Vista is not showing the OC. I should be at something great then 2.40 GHx right now but it only shows 2.4, why is this?

What app do I need to check my OC numbers? I think this mobo came with something called Tpower2 and it had some OC icon...not sure what it is for yet.

that's cuz the built in CPUID thing in Vista sucks... get CPU-Z -> CPUID

if you increase the vcore and the MCH voltage you'll be able to get way higher FSB speed so you'll get better OCs

also, what cooler have you got on your CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom