can I swap sdram for ddr?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys--thanks for the offer imation will do the motherboard search myself--need to learn how to do that. What's the easiest way to find out what motherboard I have if I don't have the invoices etc any more(office filing system is a nightmare). It's an Asus motherboard which has a celeron processor--when I looked on the Asus website they only seemed to have Pentiums on their m-boards?

muradtalukdar, remove the cover off your computer case, and have a look onthe motherboard to see if there is a printed serial number or any form of motherboard identification. make sure if you need to touch parts to get a better view to ground yourself on a metal part of the case, otherwise dont risk touching anything.

Thanks again imation-you've taught me heaps already matey--will check that out. What does ^^^^^ mean Randy?

Hey Randy, I have discovered that my motherboard is an Asus P4S533-MX-UAYZ which has two sets of slots--two for DDR and two for SDRAM. So can I actually just take the DDR out and snap in the two SDRAM? Or is there something else I have to do? Also what is the deal with how much you can put in ie does it have to step up in a certain way ie 128 then 256 then 384 then...or can I always add 128 or 256 no matter what I have already in there?

Hope I'm not bugging you guys too much here! If ever you need to know how to fix Subshop(Subway's custom POS software then give me a shout! Not likely I know!)

According to this page: http://www.ezimobile.com.au/prod870.htm

your motherboard has:

" two SDR sockets that support up to 2GB non-ECC PC2700/PC2100/PC1600 or PC133/PC100 SDRAM DIMMs."

All this simply means is, you can have a maximum of 2 gigabytes of DDR ram or just straight SD ram.

In answer to your question about being able to take the DDR ram out and snapping in the SD ram, yes, you can do that and no you dont have to do anything special to activate it. Just that you cant have both ddr and sd ram in at the same time.

The ram doesnt have to go in any particular order, the only thing that can go wrong are incompatabilities with two different ram chips running at the same time, although this is rare.

Cheers Imation--time to go shopping finally! Looking forward to this new bit of experience(hey I live a pretty unexciting life these days).

^^^^^ means the posts above. muradtalukdar you should just be able to put the sticks into the SD slots. I don't really understand ur question.

Thanks Randy--was just wondering if it the motherboard would simply recognise the new ram without any prompting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom