Looking to upgrade CPU, need advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Higher load cannot possibly account for what we are seeing here. The PC I've see it on could only have had about 512MB RAM and only a small proportion would have been allocated to graphics, on top of that it would have been much slower memory.

this isnt a flame fest, go raid some baddies in WoW and watch your FPS drop.

we're trying to help someone with their computer issues, not trying to find arguments online.

The situation he is experiencing is lag due to raids , (he even says in his original post that he gets 10-15fps DURING RAIDS)

i suggest you scroll up.

You guys are telling him his CPU/video is fine for WoW, and under normal circumstances, it is! just like he says, its the RAID instances that are causing lag.

Everquest requires a pentium 2, 400mhz, 512mb ram, and a 32mb video card,
Try running Everquest in a FULL raid of 72 people in Plane of Time (old zone)

see if you get any more than 5fps..

This is the same situation, now, if we could get back to helping the ORIGINAL poster with his problems, and stop arguing i think we'll all be a little better off.

he said he has an AM2 motherboard, the highest supported processor (that i know of) is an athlon x2 6400+ (i recommend the 6000+ 65nm brisbane Black Edition)

(if your board supports AM2+, you have more options with the phenoms)

Your video is fine, its more likely a CPU bottleneck in your system.

The Phenoms have yet to break the 3ghz mark. But that will be seen in Q1 2009 when the new X4 models are out. This is why the 6400+ and 6000+ were mentioned. A faster stock cpu will always help when you are not ocing for the system in general. For specifics in one game the question philbar is asking is something to consider.

I would like to apologize, I was not intentionally starting a flame war.
Dispite this apology I have to say that I still disagree with your solution to the problem.
I have already suggested that they run some scans and do a defrag, all of this can be done for free and without wastage. Your solution on the other hand involves buying a new CPU which is what $100+, physically changing his computer internals (possibly invalidating warranty if it is a prebuilt), and worst of all, throwing away what may be a perfectly good CPU. What does that get you? Well it gets you an appreciably better CPU and achieves what might be a temporary solution before inevitably experiencing the same problem given a slightly higher load.

Gee? I'm not still running that old Socket A build that saw three different cpus ran on that one. Two of the three simply got put to use on other builds.

If you are on a tight budget looking for an upgrade and not an entire new build simply going with a faster cpu that seems to be a good leap or adding more memory or a better expansion is usually the viable option to consider.

When Windows 7 comes out a little earlier then originally scheduled next year I'll simply add in a third hard drive in order a 64bit edition of the new version then rather then rushing to see a new build here. Gee? DDR2 800 2gb dimms have fallen from $299.99 when the case was first built down to something like $67- seen now. Seems like a good time to go for 4gb rather then 2gb don't you think?

The rationality there is simply saving on overall costs for the present time without going overboard. While a $100 here and a $100 there adds up over time many prefer to get 2-4yrs. use out of one build at times rather then spending on a new build each time something new comes out.

i've played WoW and Everquest for years and years, i know all about raids and how frustrating it can be with 70+ people running around.

Most poeple dont understand untill they spend 12-14hrs a day raiding in a high-end guild, that even with a beefy system, an old game like Everquest can REALLY slow down your computer.

your system is not bad, but you may be right about the CPU.

if you have an AM2+ board, get a phenom
if you have an AM2 board, get an x2 6000+ BE (the 65nm brisbane version, not the 95)
if you have a skt 939 board, you'll need a complete overhaul (but your video card is plenty for now)

im more of an everquest fan than a wow fan, but those raids are seriously going to tax your system.

(you'll want to get that 10-15fps in raids, up to 30-35 at LEAST)
its hard to worry about your healers, tanks, DPS, and support teams while your jumping around due to poor framerate.

You mean 90nm 6000+

and there's no X2 6000+ Black edition.. just the 89w TDP and the 125w TDP one

RichM499 is obviously thinking of the Black edition Phenom models(9550, 9600) not the Atholon X2 line up of dual cores for AM2(940) boards.

Maybe you guys are right, I'm sorry, I think there must be something wrong with my personality anyway. Even though I have my new laptop with 3GB RAM (how mad is that for £400?) I also still have a compaq contura.
The upside is, whatever it costs, that CPU is a bargain.

they made a 6400+ black edition, i must have been thinking of that one

i know there are 5000+, 5400+ and 5800+ BE models for sale on tigerdirect and newegg=P

i just bought a 5400+ BE cpu=)

didnt see any 6000+ when i double checked, but i saw a few 6400+ BEs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom