Looking to upgrade CPU, need advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a system like that you should be able to run WoW no problem. I have a 4200+ with a 7950gt and when I used to play WoW I ran it flawless. Like Hussein said make sure you don't have a lot of programs running while your playing, as it chews up your memory usage.

So any of the CPU's listed recommended would work.. and RAM is not your problem then...

Do a check for Spyware and close unnecessary background stuff (I think WoW has add-on's so try running it without all that stuff on)

Take a look at the antivirus, antispyware, firewall, Windows or other messaging if used, etc. with items seen in the services tab of the msconfig utility. Often these are programs that tend to cause problems while gaming. By checking off the "hide all microsoft services" box that will reveal all 3rd party services for video and sound too while you can disable any non essentials there as well as in the startup group.

i've played WoW and Everquest for years and years, i know all about raids and how frustrating it can be with 70+ people running around.

Most poeple dont understand untill they spend 12-14hrs a day raiding in a high-end guild, that even with a beefy system, an old game like Everquest can REALLY slow down your computer.

your system is not bad, but you may be right about the CPU.

if you have an AM2+ board, get a phenom
if you have an AM2 board, get an x2 6000+ BE (the 65nm brisbane version, not the 95)
if you have a skt 939 board, you'll need a complete overhaul (but your video card is plenty for now)

im more of an everquest fan than a wow fan, but those raids are seriously going to tax your system.

(you'll want to get that 10-15fps in raids, up to 30-35 at LEAST)
its hard to worry about your healers, tanks, DPS, and support teams while your jumping around due to poor framerate.

As above really but dont use the msconfig utility, thats not the correct way to do it! Your PC is easily good enough to play WoW, I've seen it played OK on far older PCs. Check for virus', spyware etc one thing I would add is a disk defrag.

Edit: Not directly above anymore. Poor timing

Like i said, most people dont understand big raids.. ^^^^^

Let me give u guys an example..

In Half-life 2, even an old computer can run it 30-40fps no problems.

But if you put 75 combine in the same tiny spot, all attacking 1 giant creature, with particle effects, shader effects, reflection and refraction going off EVERYWHERE like a big *** light show from the 70's, even a new computer has trouble=)

The same goes for a lot of games where people always say they need the latest high end card to run games with the details set high. I take a low end older model card and still run various games with the details turned. An older game like WoW doesn't even see the hardware minimums the latest see there.

When many players crowd together to tag team on a monster, most attacks have a special effect and uses a sound effect...

When all those people are doing it at the exact same time its going to harm your FPS..

But I thought the OP was talking about in General though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom