What's holding my system back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,
I've just got Far Cry 2 and I'm getting some low frame rates (29-37) on generally high settings. I've been out of the hardware loop for a while so I don't know what out lately.

I here's my current set up.

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz
GPU - GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB
RAM - 4 gigs (windows only realizes 3.3)

What is bottle necking my performance or holding back or is it my system in general?

Thanks

I have a 8800 gtx as well ( although 2 gigs of ram and a OCed q6600 at 3.0 ghz ) and I run at about 30-40 fps on a mix of high and very high settings. Even though were not getting the optimal fps the game seems a lot smoother then Crysis which runs on average 3-5 fps lower on high settings. Interesting to note however I get 50-60 fps in multiplayer games at these same settings, heh. Honestly the game probably looks better to me then Crysis because I'm actually running 2x AA as opposed to no AA in Crysis. ( Also I have to run at the lowest settings to get 60 fps in Crysis multiplayer :( even UT2004 looks better at that point )

Disregarding my RMA plans with the 8800 gtx, I don't think its a good idea to upgrade because the card because is still very capable ( you would see at the very best 50% performance gains not considering CF or SLI setups ) , economically speaking I personally would wait until another generation of cards come out before I would consider upgrading ( which means I follow my schedule of upgrading my card every 2 years to maintain a high end gaming rig status ). Also I never would SLI the 8800 gtx as a single one already runs ridiculously hot...

That's because in Crysis most things are rendered in 3d. UT 2k4 has a lot of 2d objects in the game. UT will appear to look better because it has decent textures on its 2d objects, whereas when you put Crysis on low settings the 3d objects get very blurry textures.

That's because in Crysis most things are rendered in 3d. UT 2k4 has a lot of 2d objects in the game. UT will appear to look better because it has decent textures on its 2d objects, whereas when you put Crysis on low settings the 3d objects get very blurry textures.

and what about COD4s Proprietary engine? I undertand there isn't much physical 3d object and post processing manipulation in the MP maps, but due to the high resolution textures and HDR lighting, the game ends up being a different art style which is very impressive and runs silky smooth on low end systems. UT2004 was an extreme example of low end, practically anything can run that. The fact that we can run Farcry 2 at 60 fps with near max settings and 2xAA in MP strongly contrasts with the fact we can't even get 40 fps at medium settings in Crysis with no AA says something...

Crysis has many more polygons than those other games. Polygons are much harder to render than textures. What I'm trying to say is, UT has fewer polygons, than Crysis which is why its so much easier for the hardware to run. Adding extra polygons doesn't have on its own as much of a visual benefit as adding textures. Things like good bump maps and well made textures can give the appearance of more detail than their really is. Crytek purposely made a lot of that texture in the 3d models and not in the traditional so they could push the hardware. I don't know the specifics of Far Cry 2's engine, but I know that COD4 has much fewer polygons than Crysis, and it still looks good because of smart bump maps, well made textures, HDR lighting and other things.

From what I under stand, Crysis was basically an add for the CryEngine 2. It's a lot of physics processing as well as visual. Instead of tricking the eye it works closer to real life where shadows are produced in real time rather than using relative light bump maps. All the physics and visuals are all action and reaction so it allows a developer to do basically anything they want. It showed free roaming game style as well as linear and included as many environments as they could (tropical, winter, cave). Just look at the map editors for Farcry 2 and Crysis and you know that Crysis is a fare more in depth game with countless capabilities. FarCry 2 and COD4 were showing of games and Crysis was showing off an engine.

Anyway now that I've put that in there I'm thinking I'll wait just a bit longer until about Xmas. Maybe prices will go down or we'll here some more news on cards and CPUs ect.

From what I under stand, Crysis was basically an add for the CryEngine 2. It's a lot of physics processing as well as visual. Instead of tricking the eye it works closer to real life where shadows are produced in real time rather than using relative light bump maps. All the physics and visuals are all action and reaction so it allows a developer to do basically anything they want. It showed free roaming game style as well as linear and included as many environments as they could (tropical, winter, cave). Just look at the map editors for Farcry 2 and Crysis and you know that Crysis is a fare more in depth game with countless capabilities. FarCry 2 and COD4 were showing of games and Crysis was showing off an engine.

Anyway now that I've put that in there I'm thinking I'll wait just a bit longer until about Xmas. Maybe prices will go down or we'll here some more news on cards and CPUs ect.

yeah but consider this, if something looks just as good if not better ( using tricks and such as you mentioned ) but runs 4x smoother and demands less then half the system specs then...isn't it a more successful and efficient engine? Sure you can make the argument that Crysis is a game made to be run much further down the line ( say 2-3 years ), but you also have to consider that much further down the line other engines will have already surpassed Crysis in terms of graphics and performance. Simply put its not really a good economic model ( Supreme commander also relied on this ) unless they sell the engine to many other developers which I doubt will happen because of its still demanding requirements.

Unreal 2 is not a more efficient engine than Cry 2. Cry 2 uses DX10 and has a lot of features that Unreal 2 doesn't support. There is a reason they move on to newer engines, and one of them is scalability. Check the wiki article on the Unreal engines. Unreal 3 brings a lot of new things to the table and allows you to do things that you could never have done on the Unreal 2. The reason Crysis looks bad on low graphics is because Crytek made a decision in development to make things like foliage 3d and 3d only. You could get away with replacing them with 2d vegetation, but then what progress have we made? Any game on low settings looks like crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom