P3 vs P4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedman3d

Fully Optimized
I heard somewhere that if a Pentium 3 and Pentium 4 were both clocked at the same speed, say, 1.8ghz, that the Pentium 3 would be faster.

I read/heard it somewhere. Can anyone clarify?

i might have to agree, i know teh core 2 architecture is based on p3 and intel pentium M, from what i know p4 was a horrible architecture that only allowed high clocks.

Thats right poizen the core architecture is based off the modified P6 architecture, which was used by pentium pro, pentium II, pentium III and pentium m chips. Also the older xeon chips.

The first generation p4's got beat by slower clocked pentium III's, but the later ones fixed this. Mainly because of higher clocks though.

The first generation p4's got beat by slower clocked pentium III's

So a 1.5ghz P3 is gonna end up beating a 1.8ghz P4???? That's pretty crazy...

it's not about clock speeds anymore so even if you have a p4 clocked same as core 2 the core 2 will still beat it because it has higher FSB and besides p4 has a huge multiplier which doesn't really give more performance compared to raising the fsb.

it's not about clock speeds anymore so even if you have a p4 clocked same as core 2 the core 2 will still beat it.....

Well of course. haha.
So what was the point of the Pentium 4 exactly? Just to lure in customers?? Ive never heard of a new CPU coming out that wasnt at least on par with the older gen CPU's...

it's not about clock speeds anymore so even if you have a p4 clocked same as core 2 the core 2 will still beat it because it has higher FSB and besides p4 has a huge multiplier which doesn't really give more performance compared to raising the fsb.

Yeah we know this but were talking about architectures here.

Well of course. haha.
So what was the point of the Pentium 4 exactly? Just to lure in customers?? Ive never heard of a new CPU coming out that wasnt at least on par with the older gen CPU's...

Netburst was designed for high clock speeds....i think they got all the way up to 3.8ghz i believe. This was the age of the clock speed wars...but AMD shut Intel down with the cooler, more efficient and better architecture which resulted in better overclocking (Its also the same architecture that AMD uses today..which is why the chips trail slightly behind core chips) the AMD64 architecture.

Netburst got to the point to where it was just to hot to go any higher. and it couldint compete with AMD (Pentium D vs Athlon X2) so Intel went back to the drawing boards and came up with the core architecture...which was the best thing they ever did.

Netburst was sheer speed to fool customers into buying slower CPU's...

At first the 1.3Ghz Pentium 3's outmatched the Pentium 4 Williamettes, but the later ones beat them... but if Pentium 3's came with overclocking board's I would have probably bought one of those over that crappy P4 I had

It wasn't only a matter of overclockable boards being available. They were running on 130 and 145 nanometer processes. The overclockability has much to do with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom