Rookie needs some help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherrookie

Solid State Member
Hello -

I have rebuilt a lot of computers, but am new to designing one from 'scratch'. Anyway, I managed to get some components that don't work together -rookie mistake! :-( I have an Intel Core2 processor - and a motherboard that is not compatible. I am wondering if I should: 1) buy a different motherboard (which one?), 2) buy a different processor, or 3) buy a combo so that I can't make this stupid mistake again?! To fit my case, I need a Micro ATX motherboard of some sort. It must be able to support DDR2 RAM, have at least 2 SATA connectors and 2 PCI slots. Also, must have a 4-pin CPU connector (not 6 or 8 pin) and a 20 or 24 pin main connector. Am I better off to keep the processor and get another motherboard - or should I try a different processor? Any help you can give will be really appreciated!

Depends, I would replace whatever was cheaper personally. Intel dual cores are generally a lot better than amd, and since you bought an amd board... the smart idea might be to buy a new motherboard. Just make sure your next one is an intel board.

Edit: You may have also bought the wrong socket, it wasn't really explained in your post. Either way, probably getting a new board would be the way to go.

Thanks so much for the advice. The socket is Intel LGA775. I was thinking about trying an AMD processor, but maybe that's not the best way to go? Is the socket compatible? I thought it was (but then again, I thought everything was!) Thanks again.

What is your motherboard and cpu? A core 2 processor should work with an Intel LGA 775.

Motherboard is a PC Chips P53G Micro ATX. CPU is Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale (2.53 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB, LGA 775)

(Thanks again for your help!)

Thank you!

Imlooked at the two motherboards. The Biostar looks to large to fit into my Micro ATX case, and the other one would work, however, the price just seems to be too high. I read an article on Tom's Hardware:
G31 And E7200: The Real Low-Power Story : Combining Performance and Efficiency - Tom's Hardware

I liked the Foxconn G31MG-S, however, I don't know if this would work for me, and I cannot find a place that sells it. The motherboard needs to support the following parts:
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 (2.53 GHz Wolfdale, 1066 MHz FSB)
  • Patriot RAM (2048 MB, 240 Pin DDR2, 667 MHz)
  • Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 (SATA, 640 GB, 7200 RPM)
  • LG SATA SuperMulti Optical Drive ( SATA, CD/DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe)
  • Sony 1.44 MB Floppy Drive
  • Zonet V.92 PCI Modem
  • Syba IEEE 1394 "FireWire" PCI Card
  • Thermaltake Purepower 500 (500 Watt)
  • 2 Front USB Ports and Front Audio Ports
  • Linkworld PRESCOTT 222- FU MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Also, the CPU power connectoer must be a 4- Pin, not a 6 or 8.

Is this a good motherboard? If not, does anybody know where I could find a good motherboard? I just need this board to run basic home office tasks, with some light multimedia usage. It must also be a MicroATX board. Other than that, any motherboard that you think would work, and any advice, would be much appreciated.

Thank You

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EG31M-S2 LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
this looks to be pretty good buy, althought it would prob require a bios update to get the e7200 to work, i u cant be bothered with that ur better off sticker to a p43/45 chipset mobo.

Thank you very much! I'll check into that right away. (Will it work with my other components?) Can you tell I'm a little nervous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom