Another OCing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackwrx

In Runtime
Ok, I have the computer in my signature, and I'm really thinking it's about time to start overclocking some stuff. I have a program that came with my mobo that tells me the processor temp, so I can tell if it's getting too hot. My question is, if I overclock it too much (but not to where it actually burns, just enough so it won't run any more), will I still completely ruin everything, or if I get "the black screen of death" I've heard about, can I just reset it to lower settings and everything will work fine again? I've never overclocked anything before, and I'm interested in trying it. My motherboard, which is actually made for overclocking, has settings that will have the mobo overclock for me with preset things, but I want to try it all manually. Any other advice would be greaetly appreciated. Thanks. Oh, and can someone recommend a good aftermarket heatsinc for my processor, and does anyone know how hot is too hot for an XP 3200+?

I'm not pro, but I might have some basics that can help ya =)
1. If you start to overlock your computer incrementally and not just make big jumps in your FSB then you should be ok for the most part. I BELIEVE its when you start getting crazy with your voltages, mainly your Vcore is when heat becomes the issue and your chances of frying your CPU increase.

2. As for an aftermarket heatsink get the SLK-900A, doesn't come with a fan though, but couple that with a 92mm vantec tornado (which will also be loud as all hell) then cooling shouldn't be too much of an issue.

All in all just READ READ READ. I believe the 3200+ XP barton has a default of 11x200 (you woulda been better of getting a 2500+ and OC'ing it TO 3200 speeds) Slowly increase your FSB but realize you'll have to start possibly upping a tiny bit of your voltage, and also with that might have to loosen some ram timings. I won't go on anymore cause theres people who know WAY more, but those are some basic rules of thumb

Increasing your FSB speed will get you into some trouble regarding your main memory (RAM) - your particular memory should be able to reach 215MHz (DDR430) without a problem.

Your factory settings for that particular processor are as follows; 1.65V default or H/W (within motherboard), with a maximum temperature of between 80 and 85C - most people stick to around 60C max. Your FSB speed is 200MHz with a multiplier of 11 giving you a core speed of 2200MHz (2.2GHz). My original "Basics on How to overclock" is based around the XP3200+ if you wanted to give it a look over.

The maximum temperature you should really be looking at when overclocking is ~50C because you are idle and it will increase under load (games are very intensive). Your temperature limits how much juice you can give to your processor, that is voltage, you should be able to give it 1.7V but really keep an eye on your temperature, !this is only as reference!.

With a final core voltage of 1.7V and a FSB speed of 215MHz will give you only ~2365, but you obviously want more right? There should be a setting for multiplier, throw this upto 11.5x and you will have a core speed of ~2472MHz. I have known people get upto ~2.6GHz without a problem and with only air cooling (not stock cooling, but something a little more special and effective).

1.7V
217MHz
12x
=2.6GHz

But it all depends on cooling and what your memory can take.

ALL OF THE ABOVE IS TOTALLY REFERENCE AND SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN AS FACT, don't want people blaming me for a broken piece of hardware .

Thank you both very much for you help... now I just need to get the balls to start overclocking some stuff. The only thing that kinda bothers me is that I just built my computer about a month ago and I'd be kinda pissed if I ruined something already. But hey, I guess that's life.

yeah thats why I was hoping someone like kangaroo would come in and set things straight. Cause yeah he makes a REAL good point. PC3200 ram has 400FSB to it so once you start putting your CPU fsb over 200 then you're gonna be overclocking the RAM. (the reason that the CPU 200 equals the 400FSB of the PC3200 is because its DDR, Double Data Rate so CPU 200x2 = 400 got it?) So with that in mind if your PC3200 is supposed to be 400 FSB as you know it, then lets suppose you up your FSB of your CPU to 215 like kangaroo said. Then your RAM will also be that high. Your normal 400FSB pc3200 ram will be running at 430, 215x2 which once you start pushing that then you gotta start upping memory voltages and thats starting to get into stuff where I don't fully understand. I think when I get my 35w 2400+ XP-M I'm gonna just try and get the FSB to 200 and raise the multiplier, and MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE go a little above 200, but yeah I'm not a rich little focker so if I ruin something I gotta wait a long time until I get another

You won't daamage your hardware if you are careful. If you get the black screen of death just turn off your computer and reset the CMOS, its really simple.

Just do it nicely and sensibly.

Thanks again for your help, I think I may try the auto overclocking stuff on my mobo to see what that sets it at and then check the temps to get a sense for what DFI thinks is safe. Then if I feel like my stuff can take a little more, I may try it. I don't think I need to be too worried about my RAM do it? From what I've read it's Corsair's best overclocking RAM ever and it's supposed to be in the top five of any brand or something. I dunno, it has huge heat syncs on it, it basically makes the RAM twice the normal size. And it has cool LED's on it. Anyway, thanks again for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom