$1200 - When to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjared

Baseband Member
Let me preface by saying that although this is my first post, I have been lurking and researching on this board for quite some time. My goal is to build a $1200 computer as a gift to myself for completing student teaching at the end of this semester.

I am very confident in picking out components that offer the best bang for $1200 as of right now, but with all of the talk about the new Intel processor coming out, I am worried that I will purchase components right before they drop in price. My question is, when should I purchase the components to make sure that I get the best deal and they don't drop drastically within a couple of months. I understand that new tech is constantly coming out, I just want to be ON the curve, not behind it.

The build I am looking at includes:

Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - VisionTek 900244 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

CORSAIR 750w TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - CMPSU-750TX - Buy.com

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners

To clarify what I am asking:

I am going to get the Q9550, but do I pay the $319 now, or do I wait for it to drop in price after Nehalem is released. And if I decide to wait, when should I expect that to happen.

The question is based on the fact that after each new release, the previous models drop in price.

Thank you.

The 650TX that he picked out is plenty of power for that system. And there is nothing wrong the Antec 300 case that he picked out, it's a good case. Everything looks good.

With the new I7s coming out there could be a price drop for other Intel processors, it's hard to say.

well right now sence the Nehalem should be released any day now i would defiantly wait for those. idk what the prices on the new cpu's and boards will be but u might be able to fit it into ur budget, and if u get a Nehalem it would be alot better then any current gen cpu's.

but for the build u have up there, i wouldnt change a thing, maybe psu to a corsair 750 but its really not needed for what u got, and a e8500 but thats just cuz i like the new 45nm dual cores

well right now sence the Nehalem should be released any day now i would defiantly wait for those. idk what the prices on the new cpu's and boards will be but u might be able to fit it into ur budget, and if u get a Nehalem it would be alot better then any current gen cpu's.

but for the build u have up there, i wouldnt change a thing, maybe psu to a corsair 750 but its really not needed for what u got, and a e8500 but thats just cuz i like the new 45nm dual cores

See, I am not sure where I stand when it comes to buying the Nehalem but it stands to reason that all previous processors should drop in price. I am happy with the Q9550, I just don't want to buy it and then a week later see that it is 100$ cheaper. Obviously it will drop at some point.... just not sure when they usually do.

See, I am not sure where I stand when it comes to buying the Nehalem but it stands to reason that all previous processors should drop in price. I am happy with the Q9550, I just don't want to buy it and then a week later see that it is 100$ cheaper. Obviously it will drop at some point.... just not sure when they usually do.

Yup, that's the smart thing to do right now, unless they release 32nm quadcores.. =.=

You can buy another 4870, when it gets cheap, and Crossfire it. plus it's the same price as a 650TX, and has a 140mm fan.

I will take your advice and get the 750 for that reason, its cheaper at your link anyway.

Thanks.

Now the question is what to do about the processor...

Well its pretty simple really. If you do more multi-tasking/editing go for the quad. If the sole purpose of your computer is for gaming then the E8500 would be the best choice.

Well its pretty simple really. If you do more multi-tasking/editing go for the quad. If the sole purpose of your computer is for gaming then the E8500 would be the best choice.

Definitely want the Q9550, its just a matter of should I buy it now, or wait for the price to drop after Nehalem? And more specifically, when should I expect the prices to drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom