adding a touch pad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can usually find the maintenace manual on IBM's website if you have the patience to wade through it. The instructions won't be explicit but if you use your head a little you can probably figure them out. IBM's are usually pretty easy to service, btw.

Well if you're not able to find it on there post the model # here and let me know. I will give it a shot. You should probly PM it to me so I don't forget ;)

I can help with install if you need it, I'm pretty good at servicing laptops.

okay ill be picking up the laptops around the 7th and i just dont understand why ibm doesnt put the touchpad on the laptop.

You probably won't be able to add a touchpad. If you did, it'd be pretty hackish, as you'd probably have to cut a hole in the case, find USB or PS/2 headers on the motherboard and solder to them, glue stuff in place, etc. You won't just be able to click a new touchpad module into a slot on a laptop that wasn't designed for a touchpad. Personally, I much prefer the TrackPoint stick that ThinkPad's have. They're just as functional as touchpads, especially with the 3rd button (used for scrolling and 3rd clicking), plus they're better for gaming (you can do a full 360 turn and then some...you have unlimited range of motion with a TrackPoint while the touchpad you have to keep swiping your finger - horrible for gaming!).

Ditto on Calc's comment (though I don't think I'd be gaming on a laptop with a pointing stick :tounge:).

You can usually find the maintenace manual on IBM's website if you have the patience to wade through it. The instructions won't be explicit but if you use your head a little you can probably figure them out. IBM's are usually pretty easy to service, btw.

I think there's been a little confusion. Overlord was talking about adding a touchpad to an old IBM laptop, not replacing one.

ohh yea.. yes i love hackish things.. im just a newb and thought this would be an interesting but sorta easy hack no one has dont yet.

I think there's been a little confusion. Overlord was talking about adding a touchpad to an old IBM laptop, not replacing one.
Ah, well then I would not be the best to consult. I don't know if you would have the correct connections, etc. for doing such a thing on this IBM. As far as I know, they really just love their point sticks, not much love for the touchpad.

Use the pinstick for a while you will learn to love, I am hopeless at it but many of my friends find it a lot more useful and accurate once you get the hang of it. If your determined on touching something install a touch screen layer to the monitor :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom